Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Snooping Enforcement Officer

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

sebstar

sebstar

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Hi All

I hope this post is is the right place! I own 1 arce of land, I use it for keeping around 20 chichens and growing veg. I have had a 20' X 20' (approx) ramshakle workskop and tool and feed store, I allso have a static caravan both of these have been there for around 10yrs.

I do blacksmithing work at the workshop (not horses) and I store my tools and equipment for my selft employed home maintainence

Neighbour 1 has an ongoing and now hotting up enforment issue regarding his property and Neighbour 2 has ongoing and going to appeal planning issues.

The planning enforement offices are now snooping around.

My question is any ideas re a statergy to protect my interest.

Up untill now I have always opperated an keep my head down policy.

Many thanks in advance for any advise

Sebstar

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Hi Sebstar,

Do you have planning permission for the work shop or the caravan?

Cheers.

Terryturf

Terryturf

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Have a look at old google earth photos or get mapping is another good one. If they show the caravan there for the ten yrs you say the council can't make you remove it,. Looks like a case of an application for a certificate of lawfulness

sebstar

sebstar

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Many thanks for getting back to me, great to hear from you both,

No there is no planning permision for either the workshop or caranvan.

I have found dated images of workshop and caravan veg garden poly tunnel ect dating 31/12/2005

Would you suggest I go for certificate of lawfulness before enforement officers possible come at me or should  I wait?

Suggest reading for certificate of lawfulnes

Many thanks Sebstar

Terryturf

Terryturf

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 36 posts
Its not just the sattelite photos to rely on. They help a lot.Its also statutory declarations from people who may have visited the site , deliveries,friends etc who know what's there and what's been going on . If you look on the planning portal it will give advice also look at successful applications (and failed ones) from others on LPAs website . That will give you an idea what's needed. its actually only 4 yrs for a building but 10 Yrs for its use unless its residential

sebstar

sebstar

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Many thanks very useful

I see a long and interesting journey about to begin!

Should I apply for certificate of lawfulness before I attract enforement action or am I able to proceed if and when enforement action started.

Off to planning section and lots of reading probably followed by more reading

Sebstar

Droikos

Droikos

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMendips AONB, North Somerset
Do keep us updated....

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

sebstar

sebstar

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

I think I will do as you suggest Adrian keep my head down but get the preperation all ready for the day the enforement notice arrives.

I feel a little less stressed now as I am confident the I will be able to produce enough evidence for certificate of lawfulness.

Again many thanks for advise so far, I may go quiet for a bit but I will keep you updated.

Sebstar

Droikos

Droikos

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
  • LocationMendips AONB, North Somerset

sounds like an ideal case for the Lunmpnuggin approach?

davo

davo

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
Hi we have a caravan on our smallholding, when the planning man came looking we called it the toilet and got away with it, don't let them trick you into calling it a caravan as ours asked us at least 4 times what I wanted to call it ☺

The question is now the council know it's there from the date of there inspection after four years of being on site could they ever ask me to remove it ???

And if after four years it becomes part of the landscaping can the van be changed for a bigger and better one ???

Thanks Davo