Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Anybody rearing turkey's?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
A friend of mine who has been successful in the f2f route based his purely on earning a wage and nothing ever got mentioned about man hours by the planners etc

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
If you can do it with 15 alpacas then get them I would ?
I think the figure was more like 2160 or 40 hrs /week based on a 8 hr day working 280 days /year
I know we do twice those hours You get 7% extra for book work etc and 15% fir estate maintenance etc
So you could make up the hours to say 1800 and then add on your 22% to get 2160 hrs ish
There have been apps for 3yrs temp with no animals just a good business plan that have passed
And others who get all the animals then prove the need show they are making the relevant profit and go straight for a house
I went fior all the animals and hope to go for full pp in 18 months
A lot of people are reading it as some animals and an idea will get them 3 yrs temp , then in 3 yrs you will have enough animals to meet the functional need and financial test and go fir a full pp app
Not from what I have seen !!!

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Getting the 3 year temp to my mind is the hardest bit,as shepie says  getting a 3 year is not easy HONESTLY

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

No I can't imagine it is easy one bit, il give you a brief run threw how he did it.....
Bought 50 acres, pd for barn 1, approved and built within 6 month, applied again for hay barn, approved and built within 6 months..,,attempt at calf rearing for 12 months , applied for brick built workshop for tool storage and machinery repair, approved and built. Threw himself into the calfs again, rented another 50 acres over the road, kept rearing calfs, OFFERED temp permission for a mobile home 8 months into calf rearing but turned it down, after 2 years of rearing calfs and making the minimum wage from it , applied for full pp for 3 bed bungalow..... Few parish complaints but his excellent rural planning consultant fought his corner and permission approved!!! Bungalow build started.... Uproar begins due to bungalow roof height.... Stop notice issued and promised it would be resolved within 12 weeks, 7 months later givin go ahead for build again

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Half hearted ? If it's that easy why don't you do the same ? Just get someone else to feed the calves for you !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mrk

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
I never said it was easy, just telling you how he did it

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts