Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Care Farm and camps as a business proposal.

Feedback wanted for my ideas.

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

kerrycelt

kerrycelt

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • LocationCornwall

I have a project idea that I've had for several years and I'd like to know if anyone has used similar elements of this approach, and their experience. The leading factor is low budget, but the motivation is social impact.

In brief, I would like to set up my small holding enterprise as a project where young people at risk of exclusion can help to build the facilities, gardens and handle livestock as part of a training programme, possibly funded through YOS ( young offenders services), or other established youth and family services. So this could be defined as a care farm. Grant funding is an option and otherwise my lack of budget would mean resourcing everything from donations,scrap and salvage, for which I have run projects and my business using this recycling approach successfully for many years.

Further to this idea would be to form an unincorporated association or social enterprise to run the project, and then apply for an exemption certificate to authorize camping for members of the association on the land for up to 60 days a year, prior to planning or licencing as a campsite. I would propose that the barn is constructed to provide the facilities for the access of young people and volunteers, and for the use of campers and storage of tentage and equipment. The revenue could be increased by providing a glamping experience for campers, providing food ( I am already an outdoor caterer), and therapeutic activities and workshops as a retreat or healing camp.

What do others think of this ? I do wonder if LA's would have issues with the  supervision of young offenders, but I would ensure qualified and experienced staff and volunteers. I'm in west Cornwall, and I can only afford 2-3 acres of land, with a view to rent the further 10 acres required to employ the 'Field to Farm' approach.

Cheers, Kerry