Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

C&c camping waste

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
As you know they have the right to give you an exempted site
So that keeps the planners of your back on this one , but did you know you need to ask the planners if you can put in a waste disposal tank
No tank no site , planners now back in control !!!!!!
What is the point ??

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Totally agree, think we will just put the tank (cess pit) in anyway and not say anything. I mean its buried in the ground, what harm can it do? If we apply for it they will surely say no!!! 

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

We are putting the actual loo etc in the shed as it was suggested elsewhere that it should be put in the barn for the campers. Also, we were led to believe that building regs come into it regarding the tank.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Look under PD rights you will find a section that covers existing work on drains and sewarage either class a or b which will apply to your holding,just do the work and give it a name of a secondary tank to an existing system,reedbed,biogest etc etc.If you have pipes in the location just include it .Take photos of the work as you do it ie depths and materials and do it to planning regs. do the work quickly and dont have the tank in the opren for to long for prying eyes.Would wait till water table is lower if you are on wet ground as they can pop back out of the ground if you dont half fill them

jasonp

jasonp

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

i found this, i admit i havent reserched it completly, but i think one has a low level inlet, so it can stand on the ground instead of being buried and still work.

i think it works the same as sewage ttreatment plants at sea on ships, MARPOL is a much more strict compliance, it uses aerobic action instead of anaerobic action of a septic tank, and produced water(it is of a quality that you could drink(so the boast goes)but id never drink it)

http://www.suppliesf...eco-p-7341.html

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Building regs not needed I asked them yesterday , same for a septic tank if for a caravan / mobile home but if you intend to use it for a house in later years then Do it properly and take good photos and keep receipts etc
I am in with kchally on this one I am saying nothing nor for taps or electric hook up as when I contacted the c&c c team they said the council replied to their letter with no objections
Exempted said they will help if we have problems and don't need to see permission from the planners to ok the tank it just needs to be there !
Shepie

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Just had a chat with the agent and it seems I don't need planning for a septic tank and as for the caravan site they would expect us to be putting in hook ups , water and waste anyway

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

apparently according to the c & c club booklet they sent me, you cant put a septic tank in, it has to be a cess pit.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Septic tank is for our domestic use and eventually toilet and shower block
The tank for the elsan toilets has to have a SPECIAL !!!! liner in it or you can get a silage effluent tank from your local farm supplies
Shepie

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts

planners phoned back today to say if its not domestic i just need to follow environment guide lines for wells , water courses etc 

i had to get them off the sent but it seems it was a junior planner who returned the call , there was a silence when i said i had already sorted it out but they will get over it , no choice we move in soon 

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi.We Have had c&c permission and they are asking for a chemical disposal point which I believe requires a bunded tank.Could this be put above ground? These tanks are very expensive and I was wondering if anyone has a cheaper alternative. I supose if the tank were to be put on skids it would not need planning permission but then again it is not for agri use so perhaps it would?
Thanks SB

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi sodbuster
Clearwater seem to do the best deal at £800 +vat for a 2800 ltr tank , that includes delivery ,it just has a liner in it , it's the same as a silage effluent tank
Or klargester / kingspan

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks Shepie that sounds good. But what confuses me is that as the tank is to be for "blue" chemical waste,how does it stay in the ground without popping up? For ordinary septic tanks you can half fill them with water but this is not possible with blue waste.

Is it not practical to have an above ground chemical disposal point (blue waste)
Thanks SB

JASPER

JASPER

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hi

Just seen your post

We started a certificated site 4 years ago.

Been there done that with the loo's , blue waste,hook-ups  planners etc etc.

Please let me know if you need any advise.

We are no longer a c/s but a fully licensed site with 15 pitches / hardstandings ,it is possible

Adam 

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

Congratulations! We wish you had started a 'diary' so that we would all have been able to share in your experiences as they happened, but is there any chance you could write a retrospective one? Or even do a tutorial?

We all want to learn as much as poss.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Sodbuster
The tank is a low level one that stands about 1.5 m high , if you are on dry ground just put 150 mm of dry ish concrete mix in the bottom of the hole and lower the tank in then back fill with pea shingle and put a concrete slab over it with your covers in etc
As you mainly use it in summer you will be emptying it when the water table is at it's lowest so therefore it won't pop out , leave it full in the winter months
Same goes for a low level septic tank , they are easier th install
If you are on land with a high water table do as above and fix the tank to the slab with straps / chains etc
If in doubt excavate the hole to the required depth ,put concrete in the bottom to bed the tank in and lower it in the hole ,nearly half fill the tank with water , start putting concrete ( dry mix ) round the tank until lit gets just over half way up , you will need about 4 cu m of concrete for this( there are marks / lugs on the side of the tank ) then back fill with soil etc
Once the concrete is hard just drop in a pump and remove the water
If it's a septic tank just leave the water in , when emptying a septic tank , leave some in there to help kick off the process again quicker .
Shepie

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks Shepie that makes sense.Also thanks Jasper I may take you up on your kind offer.Gems a diary sounds interesting but I must say these 2-3 years have been very tough with the weather the neighbour and the off grid system (not to mention the farming).We have invested nearly 100k so far with no guarantee of PP and if this is unsucessful the money will not be recouped not to mention 3 years work.Strength of character is our mantra here.Both wanting to move forward together is essential. Follow the book but even then the council can fail a rock solid application after making you wait 8 months.Dont want to sound bitter but it is a knife edge that you could lose a great deal or gain a great deal.The gamble marks us all out here and looking at the big clear sky at night makes it worthwhile.
Rambling now.
SB

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

SB you will get it ! walk in the park  !you should be sitting on your decking with a G&T right now looking at your kingdom ! You will get it mate honestly you have more in your favour than against.The delays and uncertainty are not nice.Soon be in the club of those who have done it ! Happy Days      :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer:  :dancer: