Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Guaranteed Functional Need?

functional need pigs

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Mud 'n' Stuff

Mud 'n' Stuff

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hi all,

Before my wife & I embark on our F2F journey, assuming 12+ acres, what would be a guarantee to pass the functional need?

We plan to allocate at least 8 acres to rare breed pigs (4 on / 4 off for rotation - 60 sows) plus room for the barn we wish to build under the 5 year rule.

However I've read in many places that the functional need for pigs has been challenged as they are relatively low maintenance so you could live away from the plot.

If that's the case, what other animals could / should I include on the remaining 3 acres (we're allocating an acre for the barn, future housing, other outbuildings) which would leave the functional need in no doubt?

I've seen incubation mentioned here a few times but just what would be the minimum, added to the pigs, I'd need to fend off planners?

Thanks to you all in advance....

J.

Darkstar

Darkstar

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

60 sows on 4 acres seems an awful lot.  I hope you have good soil structure!  Also remember that you will need space for the weaned piglets.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Would recommend attending a smallholders coarse and reading some agricultural books

Mud 'n' Stuff

Mud 'n' Stuff

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Thanks both for your advice.

Darkstar - I'd read the advice of 15 sows per acre - it had failed to remind me of the additional weaner space required so thanks for that - plan updated.

Groundhog - have applied to go on a pig rearing course and have ordered other agricultural  / smallholding books (very early into my research at the mo) but still not sure the pigs alone, even with the numbers above, would justify the need.

Any further advice gratefully received.

By the way we're not loop-holers (if there is such a phrase), we genuinely are making a lifestyle change for the rest of our working lives and already finding the site and book invaluable as it's not just the planning aspect, we're really impressed with the hep everyone has posted past and present :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: functional need, pigs