Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

5 van caravan site

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Gands

Gands

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Hi I am looking to start my own caravan site but first have a lot to do and to look into and i was wondering if anyone could please give me a little (or a lot) of advice

if i buy the land with out any buildings on it but it consists of

• woodland and possibly a pond as well as an area which can be developed into flat grass land

can i live on the land with a 2 part mobile home that i have moved from a park home site whilst work is being done to develop the grass land for the 5 caravans and  possibly tents 

• with hard standing, water taps, waste water, cdp, and rubbish point
  •  
  • or do i need to have any animals on the land in order to live on the land if so which would be the best to start with

thanks for any advice that anyone can give me even if it is only a little bit

We have thought of doing this for a long time now and now we have decided the time is right to go for it but i m struggling with where to start lol

thanks again

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

You need planning permission for something (a barn, a dwelling) to enable you to live on the land whilst you personally are carrying out the works you have planning permission for.  So I guess it would depend on if you plan on putting in for any permission?  I'm guessing you're thinking of having a 5 caravan CL through the Caravan Club or Camping and Caravan Club?  That's a licence they grant to enable you to have the 5 caravan site - but it doesn't cover and building/groundworks you might be carrying out so I don't believe that would allow you to locate a mobile home on that basis.  But it's a fair bit of cost locating a mobile on your site for what seems minimal work in establishing the caravan site - you can only live there whilst you are carrying out the works and as soon as those works finish you would have to remove it, unless you have other plans

Gands

Gands

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Thanks elegantstorm

yes we do have other plans ie a few animals chickens, geese, goats etc also to grow produce to sell to  campers and passing trade

also ,  we were thinking of  having a portacabin for a toilet and shower block eventually then as the site develops perhaps put in planning to extend to allow more vans  

Gands

Gands

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

another piece of land that we are considering is already registered as a small holding with outbuildings  and a range of stables would we be able to put our mobile home on this and develop the camp site

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

If you read the book and become classed as a 'Book Owner', and are also thus able to look at the whole of the community forum you should be able to learn under what circumstances you can 'live' on land. If you do not have a valid reason for moving onto your land, then without proper planning permission you are giving the Council the opportunity to issue an Enforcement Notice which could mean that all the hard work you will have done to date would have to be undone. 

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

Here is a recent story about a couple living on their land without a valid reason for doing so....

Good Life couple forced to tear down home built without consent

Gands

Gands

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

thanks for that 

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Shame still it shows it takes a while to get enforced on they were there for 4 years !