Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

on the news

farm

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi Everyone,I just caught the end of my local news at lunchtime (cornwall) and there was a bit about someone getting planning for living on their small holding after being told never ever.I didnt hear where it was or much more about it.

Did anyone else see it,could it be a help to  f to f 's.

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Its in Willand, Devon,recent planning changes, you are able to convert redundant buildings if it enhances the area.

Any thoughts anyone.

Devon Cream

Devon Cream

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I think you are right! Here is a link to some details about it  ..http://www.bbc.co.uk...-devon-22095919

Devon Cream

Devon Cream

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

And just in case link no longer works - hopefully this copy will survive........

Willand smallholders win right to build home 10 April 2013

_66928090_66928085.jpgStig and Dinah Mason will equip the barn with solar panels and a wind turbine

A Devon family has won the right to build a home on their smallholding after a battle to get planning permission.

Dinah and Stig Mason were refused permission to build a house on the four-acre site in Willand, classified as open countryside.

Changes to planning laws mean the Masons can now convert an old barn on the site.

Mrs Mason said: "We're ecstatic. We can finally live the life that we choose."

Injunction to leave

Continue reading the main story “Start Quote

We are going to have to spend a lot more money, but we have got our dream”

Dinah Mason

The couple, who moved into a horsebox on the smallholding in 2009, have greenhouses, chickens, sheep and pigs and aim to live as self-sufficiently as they can.

Mid Devon District Council rejected plans in 2011 for a straw-bale constructed house on the land because the land was classified as agricultural.

The couple were served with an injunction to leave and the family moved to a site for travellers.

But the Masons went back to the council with a new application, citing the National Planning Framework and its reference to regenerating redundant farm buildings.

Planning laws now allow the reuse of redundant or disused buildings if the development enhances the area.

Mid Devon District Council awarded the Masons permission subject to 12 conditions.

The approval said: "It is also consistent with national and local policies relating to the conversion of redundant rural buildings to dwellings."

The couple said the straw bale house would have been cheaper to build and to heat.

Mrs Mason said: "We are going to have to spend a lot more money, but we have got our dream and there are not many people in their 30s who get to live their dream.

The couple hope to be in their new home with their two children by Christmas.

Devon Cream

Devon Cream

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

What I found interesting though was the earlier report on 24 June 2011 about their efforts...

Devon 'self-sufficient' couple told to leave smallholding

A self-sufficient couple from Devon claim they have been told by a council to leave their smallholding.

Dinah and Stig Mason were refused planning permission to build a house on the four-acre site in Willand, classified as open countryside.

They have been told by the council to leave by Tuesday.

Mid Devon District Council said although it would like to help it must uphold planning policy.

The couple told BBC News they would continue their battle.

Mrs Mason said: "We are sustainable in vegetables and feed our family and other members of the village."

The site has an allotment and greenhouses and the couple have regenerated an orchard.

'Allowance in the law'

The couple are currently living in a lorry on the site and said they do not depend on the state.

If forced off the land they may have to use emergency accommodation and benefits, they added.

Mr Mason said: "For the small minority of people who do want to live like this there should be some allowance in the law."

The council said to get permission the couple had to prove there was a need for them to live there, and it was an enterprise that could provide income for at least one worker.

Councillor Richard Chesterton said: "The land is still classified as open countryside. We have a duty to uphold local and national planning policies."

An injunction has been served on the couple and they have been told to leave by 28 June.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Makes pieces of land with redundant barns on look more appealing  to buy doesnt it !

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

It would be interesting to see their planning application as they only have 4 acres.All to the good.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

This family should give everyone heart. A quick search of enforcement appeals revealed this one Muxbeare Orchard Mason Enforcement Appeal Decision and despite the dismissal of the appeal, this family still soldiered on!  

If a barn is too big, do you think we could put in a partition and apply for pp for the redundant half?

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Has anyone seen the policy that allowed them to get their planning,I am not very good at finding things,but it would be worth seeing their application and maybe copying it?

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

Two applications appear on the Mid Devon Council website and these have been posted in one of the planning permission forums

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Thank you,

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

I wonder if they have started yet.Good luck to them.Interesting that they only have a small piece of land.

micky1

micky1

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Locationsomerset

ummmm very interesting. although im not sure i could live in a horsebox or on a travellers site first!

But in essence its more to do with aesthetics than PD etc. tidying up an area by re using a Barn.

As i said earlier make the site look like a dump... it puts loads of pressure on the local authority to get it sorted.

respectedponydriver

respectedponydriver

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Hi Everyone,So what is your opinion about the 4 acres in Mid Devon,How did they get permission?

Devon Cream

Devon Cream

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

I think it was by using the NPPF guidelines about redundant farm buildings.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: farm