Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Land smaller than 12.5 acres

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

LordMuck

LordMuck

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Now that my days are spent looking for land on the interweb and my nights are spent, well, looking for land on the interweb, I have noticed that a large proportion of land for sale is in lots smaller than 12.5 acres.....Just. There seems to be quite a few that are 11.89......11.40.......12.00...... but not many that are 12.51!

Is there a reason for this or am I just making it up? Is there some kind of gain to be had by farmers selling land in bits smaller than 12.5? Or, are they discouraged to sell small bits that are 12.5 acres and 20 acres?

Just wondering.... :scratchhead:

FCF

FCF

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hi Lord Muck

I think the smaller pieces are more attractive to those with Horse requirements, normally much less than 12.5 acres. The parcels of land you have seen are they being sold in multiple lots? There might be an opportunity to buy two lots or put an offer in for one lot plus part of another. We actually did this; that said the first lot was greater than 12.5 acres.

The larger the acreage the cheaper the per are price in my experience.

FCF

LordMuck

LordMuck

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi FCF

Yeah the land I'm interested in is part of a number of lots up for sale. Only problem is that it's being sold on sealed bids in by noon so I would hate to put bids in on two pieces and only get one of them. If the estate agent ever gets back to me I will get him out there for a viewing so we can talk turkey!

There just seems to be so many plots that are just under 12.5 acres that I thought perhaps the government pay farmers some kind of incentive to keep the lots for sale either smaller than 12 of bigger than 30 to discourage the formation of small holdings.

Or..... Maybe I've been watching too much tv and have become overly cynical in my old age!