Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Land within 3k of an airport...... Forget it?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

LordMuck

LordMuck

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

So, I'm re-reading the book to see if the piece of land I'm looking at/fantasizing about has any potential for F2F. I will give a brief description:

11.61 acres of grazing with a bit of woodland (don't panic, I'm eyeing up another 5 acres which is 1.8K away which will get me over the 12.5acre minimum limit) I am right in assuming the 12.5acres need not be in one big lump as long as the pieces are reasonably near each other?

Its currently being used to breed rare cows (according to the agent) and has a number of stable/sheds/shacks on it.

Its right on a B road.

All the above sounds good (in my head anyway!) the problem I have is that it is, as far as I can workout using the point to point measuring tool on Google, no mater how many times I re measure it......it's about 2.45K from "my" boundary nearest the AIRPORT to the AIRPORTS nearest boundary to "me".

Now, I am going to ask this even though I fear I may already know the answer..... Is this going to totally scupper my F2F dream?

FCF

FCF

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 42 posts

Hi Lord Muck

Not necessarily if you can live with all the limitations on the GPDO. I would not do this though. 

There will be exactly the right parcel of land for you out there.

FCF

LordMuck

LordMuck

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Hi FCF

Thanks for your reply.

I dont suppose the fact that the ground level at "my" piece of land is over 60 meters (acording to an ordanance survey map) lower than the airport would make any differance? And, its quite near to other houses/farm buildings that are pretty damn tall!

Cheers

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

welcome  LM

I do believe  the distance  from a airport should be taken from the centre of the runway (nearest one if it has 2) this is  the distance we use when flying  not the boundary fence. pm the name of airport

Shardlowpeasant

Shardlowpeasant

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSouth Derbyshire

I remember a silly case 20 years ago when a farmer less than 3km from an airport on land which was lower than the runway by 150 metres & had a full size pylon within the curtilage of his farmyard was errecting a steel outdoor corn silo 20ft high & was supposed to waste money on a planning application despite the pylon being 50m away from the corn silo. Needless to say he just errected the silo!