Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

Starting from scratch.....

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

Guest_Paul_*

Guest_Paul_*
  • Guests
Hi David,

Have just stumbled across your website and looks extremely interesting - almost too good to be true.

My wife and her 2 sisters inherited 9 acres of greenbelt land in Stock, Essex about 6 years ago. It has only 1 outbuilding / shack type barn - but does have electricity and mains water.

The land has been rented out over the years on and off for cattle to graze on - but has just been sitting there untouched over the last several years.

I'm fairly certain that I'm going to buy your book at the end of the month, but wondered what your initial thoughts are on her land ...... does the fact it already has the electricy and water help us in anyway?

It would be a dream to live there - and to be honest it wouldn't bother me if it was always in a timber built mobile home!

For one reason or another - we've never looked into any ideas for the land other than a quick phone call to the council who were completely dismissive...... so are complete novices without a clue!

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Many thanks

Paul.

Guest_Dave_*

Guest_Dave_*
  • Guests
Hi Paul,

Sorry for the late reply. Unless I know what the barn is constructed out of it would be difficult to make a judgement. If the barn is constructed in any way out of brick work or block work then there may be some opportunity to live on the land whist you are carrying out repairs to the building.

The fact that you have electricity and water does not help in any material way with regards to planning, but can be helpful when considering starting up costs.

From the information you have given me you would not be allowed permitted development which would definitely allow you to live on the land. The book will give you more details.

Regards

Dave