Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

woodland question and wild boar

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

dudman

dudman

Duckling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 42 posts
  • Locationwest midlands
hi

whilst reading through the book it referes to woodland as not ok to use as it does not meet the critera.

i have been looking into wild boar and from what i have read ,the good practice for keeping them is within wood land .so is woodland ok or can you have a good split of woodland on a plot and what would the best split / percentage be?

i.e  50-75% woodland be ok or even can you by woodland and have some section cleared

regards
ray   

Ty Unnos

Ty Unnos

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
  • LocationNorth Wales - hunting for land!
Hi Ray

I am also keen on the idea of woodland. 

I came to the whole idea of living on my own land by way of Ben Law's book "The Woodland Way"

Have you read it?  Ben Law got planning permission to live in his wood as he is a charcoal maker and the charcoal kilns need tending overnight for safety reasons.  This passes the functional test in planning terms.

I am also interested in wild boar as a main enterprise.  The returns seem good for the number of animals and it would seem possible to make a modest return on a small acreage.

I am hoping to combine the wild boar with traditional woodland coppice crafts, firewood, charcoal making etc.

The problem seems to be that Ben Law is one of only a handful of people who have been granted planning permission to live in woodland.  Planners just see no reason for people to live in woodland and this makes getting permission almost impossible.

What Dave has suggested is that if you want woodland you make sure you also have several acres of pasture and site the caravan / house on the open land not in the woodland.

This means of course you need to find a plot of land that has both fields and woodland and these seem rare.  You usually get one or the other.

I don't think clearing an area of woodland works. The planners look at the OS map for an area and if it is marked as woodland then that is what it is.  Even if it has been clear felled!

The other alternative is to buy open pasture and plant a wood!  You have to take a long term view but you will get grants from the forestry commission to help with the costs. 

These people:  http://www.pentiddy.co.uk/  planted their own wood and managed to get planning permission for their house so it is possible!

Good luck with your own plans.