Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

new barn and 5yr construction on an established farm with barns?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

thewoods

thewoods

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi all,
I am considering joining my friends who are running a 'Glamping' site in an AONB. (Holidays in yurts and forest cabins.) It is on an established farm with a farm house, 2 barns and another barn that was converted to a restaurant. There is no farming happening though.

I would be establishing a permaculture kitchen garden. And would dearly love to live on site in a "Tiny house" (essentially a caravan, but more like a shack built on a caravan frame).

I was wondering if it would be permitted development to build a 3rd barn? (they do need the storage space, and starting a permaculture garden would surely make it even more necessary to have more barn space)

I think I read on the annexepps7.pdf that barns older than 2 years do not count towards the footprint size limit on permitted developments, is this right? So, assuming they have more than 12.5 acres, it should be PD to built another barn regardless of there already being 2 barns on the farm?

Thanks guys, you all rock.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

I think I read on the annexepps7.pdf that barns older than 2 years do not count towards the footprint size limit on permitted developments, is this right? So, assuming they have more than 12.5 acres, it should be PD to built another barn regardless of there already being 2 barns on the farm?

This has also been mentioned elsewhere on the forum and you are right. However, be warned that some councils are more amenable than others. Good luck.

We would also like to mention that we are glad you plucked up courage to ask a question when you have been a part of the community since September and do so hope that you will receive even more encouraging replies.