Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Disposing of effluent treated with Elsan Organic

Other EAs views?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi all
After reading so many recommendations on here of contacting the EA regarding disposal of toilet waste, last Friday I visited my local EA to discuss disposal within my property.

From memory, others on here who do not have a septic tank have been given the go ahead by their EAs to dispose of their effluent in various ways on their property.

Yesterday I received this email:

Good Morning ....
We spoke last Friday about the issues you are currently experiencing at your property, The Old Schoolhouse, ..... I understand that you are treating the toilet effluent in the static caravan with Elsan Green. This is a non formaldehyde treatment agent usually used in touring caravans toilet cassettes. This agent is designed to be disposed off either to a septic tank or collected by licensed collection services. It is not designed to allow disposal to the general environment. This is not a long term solution to your current situation. I would advise storing this effluent in a tank and arranging for collection by a licensed collection service.

I understand there is a septic tank on your land that you would like to connect to, but this currently services a neighbour and there is a question regarding whether you have access to this system. I would advise looking at the contents of your deeds to your property and taking legal advice.

I would also advise that you check the current planning status for your property to ensure that you are not breaching any foul water requirements.

I have attached some links to some guidance leaflets to assist you.
http://a0768b4a8a31e106d8b0-50dc802554eb38a24458b98ff72d550b.r19.cf3.rackcdn.com/pmho0706bjgl-e-e.pdf

Regards....

Now first of all she has got it wrong, I am NOT using Elsan Green (a different fluid altogether!) and I even wrote it down for her whilst I was there!!

The toilet waste is treated with Elsan Organic which is 'biodegradeable and environmentally friendly'. I have been using a dirty water pump to pump it into the bed of reeds behind my static (not currently a proper reed bed per se, but rather a large area covered with phragmites). I have also put some of it around my fruit trees and willow. This waste is not visible, having already been broken down by the Elsan.

Secondly, during our discussion, she suggested using a composting toilet until such a time as the situation with the septic tank could be resolved... however surely disposing of waste from a composting toilet poses the same problems as that from an organic toilet?

Any advice would be welcome

Romany

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Sorry, but you need to be a Field to Farm book owner to fully access this section of the forum.

To buy the Field to Farm book click the Products button to the left of the forum. If you are already a book owner please register or sign in and private message Admin the last word on Page 2.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Sorry, but you need to be a Field to Farm book owner to fully access this section of the forum.

To buy the Field to Farm book click the Products button to the left of the forum. If you are already a book owner please register or sign in and private message Admin the last word on Page 2.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts