Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Growing sweet chestnuts

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi all
I recently gathered some sweet chestnuts and would like to plant them in the hope they will eventually become trees. Does anyone have an hints and tips? I've briefly looked on the web but it seems to be all American stuff. I think these chestnuts may be the Spanish type, they are too large for the natives!

Any advice, hints tips etc welcome

Romany

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
We now use Google Chrome instead IE and did a search for 'Propagating Chestnut Trees UK' and came up with a couple of interesting sites with some information that we had not known before. Basically, it is suggested that we plant them, just as soon as possible after they have fallen, in pots of compost and keep them protected from mice and squirrels until they are at least one year old. Apparently, they need well-drained soil which is not in a frost hollow and prefer it to be acidic. This might explain why we have always found more sweet chestnuts under trees which are close to pine trees than anywhere else.

It is obvious though that we do not have sufficient land to be able to create coppices.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Thanks CGs.  I want them for the nuts, not for coppicing, though I might try that with one of them maybe!

I don't use IE, I use Firefox, but I found out it was the search engine which was the problem, it was one that is linked to an email client I have which sometimes becomes the default search even though I keep changing it back to Google!

Romany