Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Arable land - change of use

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Meadowsweet

Meadowsweet

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
We're currently house hunting and have come across a house which has a small piece of arable land attached to it. Now we're thinking it would be enough to start us off with a small campsite, however am just wonder if we are likely to face obstacles in changing its use? Presumably I will need to do this through the planning office. :)

Would appreciate your thoughts.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Arable land is just what its used for at the minute "Growing Crops" its still agricultural land the only time it is recorded as arable might be for single farm payment which is for grant purposes only and has no bearing on planning

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
We think your best bet would be to contact the Caravan Club or the Camping and Caravan Club. The latter one allows you to have tents as well as caravans. When it comes to tents though, take into consideration the fact that during wet weather the campers can trail a lot of mud around when they are going to and fro for ablutions, washing up, etc.

Meadowsweet

Meadowsweet

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Thank you both...

It may just have that status then for the grant. Its been plowed over so we'd have to grass it over. Will be contacting the caravan and camping clubs. Also will looking into something called the Bellamy awards which is linked to eco-sustainability of camp sites, which is the route we're thinking of.

andrew.redman

andrew.redman

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales
Together with all the other problems we have had with local planning we were told "you can't have a caravan on your land" "you can't have a horse trailer on your land. Load your horses on the road and return later with trailer to unload on the road" Where do these people get their knowledge from? What is such a travesty is that invariably planning departments make it up as they go along and are answerable to no one. I was informed by legal people at Caravan and Camping that you can have a caravan for 28 days of year without planning. When I said that we had 6 plus acres he said we could have 3 caravans for 28 days each / year

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
That is an extremely interesting piece of news! Did they say that the 3 caravans had to be on the site at the same time?

andrew.redman

andrew.redman

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • LocationWales
No. He Said that if we had 6 acres then we could have 3 different caravans for a 28 day period for each one each year. This was the legal advisor for Caravan and Camping Club. He quoted a piece of law to cover this. If I can find it I will let you know.