Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

touring caravan on my small holding

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hi this is my first post iv had a caravan on my land for over 7 years iv owned the land for 10 years when i first got the land there was a static caravan pigery horse shelter and 6 over buildings over 10 years iv built new stable block new barn post and rail the field and got rid of old stuff all new builds with full pp any way cut the story i but in for static caravan for facilerts when me the wife and 5 kids are on site it was refused open country side they said went to appel refused same as council iv had a hobby caravan on site for 7 years plus the planning officer come down other day says got 28 days to remove unauthorised caravan from site or they may formal enforcement action against me for any outstanding breach of planning control at wich i was unawear pp was needed for a touring caravan that has been there all this time and is only there serten times as i go touring with my family can any one shine a light pleace as i dont no what iam doing wrong the small hoilding is in a valley were no one can see there has been a traveler site passed at the top of my field which is 5 akers that i own the travelers site can be seen for miles a round for 2 statics and two toures but they say i carnt have one i was first one here excuse my spelling hope some one can help

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi John Welcome to the forum.. In short you do not need PP for a carvan if it is used as an anciliary to your farming activities. Assuming you have other livestock as well as horses. Call their bluff and if they do proceed you have 28 days to appeal. Plenty here will guide you through the process if nessacery .Dont worry sit tight you are not on your own.
che

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Hi John Welcome to the forum.. In short you do not need PP for a carvan if it is used as an anciliary to your farming activities. Assuming you have other livestock as well as horses. Call their bluff and if they do proceed you have 28 days to appeal. Plenty here will guide you through the process if nessacery .Dont worry sit tight you are not on your own.

thanks i have chickens pigs rabits do they and a hoilding number do they count ?

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hi there just got a leter saying iam writing further to our previous correspondence after driving past your site on friday 27th april 2012 it was clear that the caravan is sill on site. this is despite your assurances it would be located on site over the winter period. iam therefor writing to advise you that i will be seeking formal enforcement action for the removal of the caravan from site . if the caravan has been removed from site whithin the last 7 days then please contact me immediately so i can confirm on site and close the file. if you have any questions about this matter please contact me yours faithfullyt david gibson planning officer. just got the leter the day can any one help many thanks john

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hi there just a up date some more info come to light the local parish got 15 shiping contaners with out pp and they try to stop me whats that all about and just found out the 2 people objecting my plans all the time have them selfs no pp for developments on there land whats that al about its a funy old world i can tell thee

danrussell

danrussell

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
john lee crake

What are you doing with the shipping containers? living in one?

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
no just could do with one for storage but local gangsters say you need pp to have one on a small hoilding but on the over hand the parish council can but em were they like and nowt sed or don

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
whats the crack with none demstic rates a mush is comeing the more to value my stables iv never herd of em in my life i pay rates from my home can any one help ?

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Non-domestic rates are payable on all buildings that are not a domicile (home). However agricultural buildings such as barns etc are not rated but stables are equestrian and as such are not agricultural and are ratable.

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
Sorry CG, dont think thats technically correct. I think its what you do with the stables and how near they are to a residential property that makes a difference.

We have 5 stables but use them for the pigs and we are not rated for them. A friend of mine up the road has 2 stables for her horses and she also does not pay rates on them. If you are using your stables as a equine business then you will pay rates on them, but if used for agricultural purposes you wont.

Both us and my friend received a letter from the rating people suggesting that we may have to pay rates, but we both challenged it and the outcome was in our favour.

KChally

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
KC, we were talking as a rule of thumb not particular cases but in general stables are equestrian and are rateable.

GC

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
We have 3 stables in one field ( no house )and had 2 in another connected to our house and neither were rateable , must have to be a business , we clearly stated private use on the planning aps

Shepie

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
thanks for info the mans been he say they send me a bill and iv got to fill in a form and sed it back and that will 0 rate the stables

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hi there iv just been geting more land i now have 18 acers of land i have a stable of 3 and a 20by40 barn i put in for permsion for a second barn and refused open country side so iam appealing if it is refused again can i go dawn the 28 days route as iv just found out a bout this 28 day route ?

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
it would probably be a good idea if you bought the book. it tells you all about your pd rights and the 28 day route. if you have 18 acres why bother with planning permission. the book is only £25 on amazon and will give you access to the rest of the forum where all your questions can be addressed.

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

it would probably be a good idea if you bought the book. it tells you all about your pd rights and the 28 day route. if you have 18 acres why bother with planning permission. the book is only £25 on amazon and will give you access to the rest of the forum where all your questions can be addressed.

hi iv already got the book and iv sent last two words but nowt happend i put in planning and appeal in march befor i got the book

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
send the last word on page 2 of the book to 'admin' and he will sort you out.
it might be worth just putting in a 28 day notice for a barn and forgetting about the planning permission route.

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

send the last word on page 2 of the book to 'admin' and he will sort you out.
it might be worth just putting in a 28 day notice for a barn and forgetting about the planning permission route.

many thanks boiow

john lee crake

john lee crake

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
hi just a up date been get two tractors two bailers turner hay cutter roller chickens and some over bits and bobs looking in to a few sucklers and may be sheep what do you recon

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
two balers? you have got too much money.
we cut hay , have chickens,.sheep . seems like the way to go for the moment. good luck ( making hay is hard work , but fun and interesting)