Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Staying off grid...

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

helend

helend

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBrecon Beacons
Hi all,

we have been given a rough estimate for connection to mains electricity of around 10k - this isn't a quote, just a revised figure based on a quote given several years ago. I have the paperwork from the power company to request a new quote. There has been no mention of "contestable works" although I will look into it once I have my quote. This estimate also doesn't cover any payment to a neighbour, whose land the electricity supply passes through and where the connection would be made. Our cables would either pass over their land or be buried in it for a short distance.

It is my gut feeling that we'd be better off spending 10 grand (or hopefully less!) becoming more self reliant on the electricity front, with solar PV and batteries combined with a genny for back up. I don't think wind power will be an option as we're in a valley and there are trees all around.

But we have no idea what we would need to run our site. We will have our caravan so light and power; there should be no need to heat water except for perhaps a washing machine and boiling a kettle, as we will have a wood burner with back boiler and/or gas. There will also be a small barn which will need lighting/power and a portacabin office, again requiring lighting and power. The portacabin is shaded by tall trees but it's near to another caravan we'll be storing animal feed etc in, and which has a south facing roof, they'll be about 50 feet apart.

We aren't going down the caravan club route so no need for electric hook ups etc.

I have read various posts and I know there are some experts out there, people describe some of their set up but I'm still unsure what sort of supply I should be asking the power company to quote us for, let alone how we'd best achieve this off grid. Is there a way to work this out without an electrician being involved yet?

Are we better off treating each building separately or is there any mileage in centralising the equipment ie cost savings? And what about the long term plan to have a house, should that be factored in yet?

I/we have no electrical knowledge, it blew me away in physics classes and I've never totally got to grips with it so go easy on the jargon you techie lot! :D

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
It's a bit of how ones made thing Helen but I'd recomend to get connected to the grid if you can first and then introduce self generated forms of power later on.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
How much power do you envisage having to use in the future ie heating type things or pumps etc.I am off grid I have a wind turbine a few solar panels and a ching chong diesel 5.5kva generator,submarine battery bank.Principle is wind and solar charge battery bank as much as possible.Genie goes on for a few hours in the evening which charges the batteries again and runs the power i use of an evening when we use iron washing machine as such.Its great apart from the fact I seem to have blown the turbine up once and blown the genie up once with the turbine on a windy day when they were both going,not my best day that one.I would spend 2 or 3 k on a 7kva or more genie and research the fuel consumption.I would like an old single cylinder lister and genset popping away allday drinking a thimblefull of diesel !!.I think 1000w of solar on a battery bank would produce a few amps a day .Try and work out your usage.A gas fridge freezer saves loads I reckon that is what uses most of my battery up.The Eco off grid thing is another tool that can be used when applying for planning as it ticks enviromental policies and I reckon increases value of site I think most people like the idea of not paying electric bills.Watching that little turbine buzz round knowing you aint paying for it ! Lovely.

Long term if you are going to build a house I would consider mains

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi.Do you need planning consent for a small wind turbine of about 3 kw to feed the battery ?
Thanks

SB

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
I was going to come an see you today but I didnt have your no on my phone DOH ! 3kw isnt that small but I understand that if you attach a smaller one to an existing feature ie A gate post or Fence line u dont ! Or as I have done with my 2nd turbine attached it to my Jeep(moveable structure).In Cornwall they are kicking off about the amount of single turbine applications submitted at present.If you have a shipping container bolt it to that !

CabinMan

CabinMan

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
Hi - Nigel and Donna at http://www.woodsideboers.com/ run off grid for a couple of years now with solar panels on a barn, diesel generator and battery bank. They were telling me last spring how little their winter diesel (red) fuel bill was.

The recent change in feed in tarriffs means that solar panel prices have plummeted. Also, if you are off grid and do not need to take advantage of the feed in tariff then you can buy cheaper non CEC approved panels.

Personally I am planning to be off grid and stay off grid.

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
GH no probs.
Very interesting. Also i suspect one could attach a turbine to the twin unit?

SD

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi Helen
There's a book I've had out of the library for a couple of months now, it's called 'Wind and Solar Electricity: a practical DIY guide' by Andy Reynolds (low impact living initiative, 2009. ISBN 978-0-9549171-6-6). The author tells you how to work out how big a battery bank and solar panel area would suit your needs, as well as lots of other info such as how to maintain your batteries or even refurbish old ones!
Hope this helps
Romany

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Check out item no 140704819155 on ebay Very tempting !