Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

chicken ailments

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

billie

billie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationsouth coast
Hi, any chicken experts out there,
one of our hens is acting a bit strange, she keeps on jerking her neck almost as if she has hickups, and her crop seems full, hanging down and swinging when she runs. have trawled the internet but cant find any answers, any ideas?? Its not stopping her eating !!

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Sounds as though she could have an impacted gizzard. This is generally caused by over long grass or access to grass cuttings.

Another thing, do your hens have access to grit? If they aren't getting enough that could be causing a feed build up.

Of course, I have to advise that if you're not sure then a trip to the vet is a must. Even if the cost is prohibitive on this one bird, the fact that you can learn what it is this time means you will know what it is in the future and can treat accordingly ,, agreat saving.

BTW, my wife has just been a on a day course for hen health (notably with Andy Marshall,, a 'name' within the chicken world) and I think the cost was covered by DEFRA or the like so it's free. I'll find out the details if your interested in such.

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
There is also a smilar condition called pendulous crop which thinking about it, sounds more like your problem. Try poultrykeeper.com for better advice.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Following on from SD's post this I think this is the link he means poultrykeeper.com chickens health

billie

billie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationsouth coast
Many thanks for the advice, hopefully can sort the problem out, looks like i need to improve my internet search skills !!

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Thx CG, that's the one :)

Livestock Health South East is the body that run training courses for animal welfare and health. Obviously, they are south-east centric but if you contact them, they may well be able to put you in touch with similar organisations across the country.

billie

billie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationsouth coast
many thanks to surreydodger and cornish gems our hen had pendular crop, we kept her oisolated for 4 days fed her mash with a little olive oil, melon and worms, twice daily massage of the crop its done the trick,she is now looking normal and back to laying, according to rocky the cockerel.

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Happiness is a healthy, happy animal :)

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Congrats Billie. We bake a lot of our eggshells in the bottom of the oven and then grind them up and feed them to the hens as a bonus to the grit. They really seem to go for it big time and yet we do not get any problems of eggs being eaten.