Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Installation of Woodburning Stove

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Romany,

Yes, the water jacket is a bakc boiler. I have a Hunter herald 14, flat top, with twin glazed doors. These will heat up to about ten radiators though I might be a tad sceptical about that many. Certainly 6 rads would be within its remit.

One day we will get the woodburning Rayburn installed (once we have strengthened the floor) and that too, will heat water. The intention os to put a thermal store into the ground but all this is a long way off.

Ah yes, thx Dave. That makes sense,

Thank you Happy. Great, I know I can't type and the next worry is I'll have a gloating Jock pointing out my English errors. :)

Groundhog, is that a rubber cone or lead? My first one was a rubber one, designated good enough for a woodburner. The hell it was. The first time we pushed the HH 14 upto nuclear output (nearly 500C) the cone promptly melted. I now have an aluminium one.

And no jokes about my rubber one, Happy :)

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Groundhog, is that a rubber cone or lead? My first one was a rubber one, designated good enough for a woodburner. The hell it was. The first time we pushed the HH 14 upto nuclear output (nearly 500C) the cone promptly melted. I now have an aluminium one.

Rubber I still cant understand why it doesnt melt you cant touch the chimney

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Thank you Happy. Great, I know I can't type and the next worry is I'll have a gloating Jock pointing out my English errors. :)

Don't have a "next" worry about a gloating Jock. You should be worried.....and I am!!! :rolleyes:

The part I was talking about is like an asbestos sheet with a hole in it and the DPUBLE skin stainless steel chimney slides into it - thereby keeping the roof safe. The rubber cone then sits on that ---- or is boltedd onto it!!!! SEE! I could get that qualification in log fire fitting - don't know what my wife was worried about! :lol:

Lynne

Lynne

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationYorkshire
I had a Hunter log burner in a previous house I owned. Used to heat the water & quite a few rads off it quite nicely. Word of warning though, my son had brought some logs in for me & had placed them in the inglenook, about 12" away from the burner whilst it was lit. The heat output from these is tremendous by the time I realised what he'd done (smell of burning/scorching alerted me) the logs nearest the fire had started to scorch.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Yes, we had that in our old house as well Lynne,, nothing like living on the wild side :) (bit like dealing with planning authorities :) )

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Well i guess it looks like you all sussed out the lit (kit) by now and you are not legaly allowed to store any flammable materials within 600mm ( 2ft) of the fire , the hearth has to protrude at least 300 mm from the front of the logburner and 150 mm to the sides with a 50 mm gap aroung the sides and rear and don`t forget the air that needs to flow in to the caravan / mobile to feed the fire .

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
My advice for what its worth "buy a caravan with a woodburner already installed" :D
che

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
They are few and far between I think :rolleyes: . And it doesn't help if you have inherited a perfectly habitable static with the land! :P :lol:

Romany

Lynne

Lynne

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationYorkshire
Ooh yes just remembered I had a slate hearth under mine, approx 1/2" to 3/4" thick, apparantly slate doesn't heat up (and it was free!!!!!!!!!! I found 2 pieces buried in the garden under one of the six rockeries I removed, they fitted perfectly :blink: :D )