Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help please - my pigs simply WON'T go in their ark

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi
I was given a couple of 'micro' pigs back at the beginning of November (the previous owners believed all the tripe that they would stay small etc etc). I was happy to take them on as I needed the garden area digging over.

I put up a 4' x 6' wendy house for them (they were living in one at their former home) but they refuse to go in it. Now with the cold wet weather I'm getting a bit concerned. I've tried all sorts including putting their food inside, to no avail.

They have made a bed in the middle of the garden using rushes that they have torn down and seem quite comfy there, but I worry firstly that they will get ill (they've been out in the pouring rain and frost!) and secondly that someone sooner or later will accuse me of maltreating them.

Any suggestions?

Romany

Mountain View

Mountain View

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 192 posts
Have you put a load of straw in their house? I find as soon as I do that the pigs are in there snuggling down and chewing the straw. But if they are happier out side, and covered with the reeds they may be warmer, just keep an eye on them. Don't forget that all they really need is a couple of bales of straw, I estimate 8 small bales, to make a make shift home. they are happier out side and they do burrow and make a sometimes quite deep hole which would protect them from the wind. Each others body heat would also help.

Hope I have helped and not hindered you further lol

helend

helend

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 94 posts
  • LocationBrecon Beacons
Have you had any luck getting the piggies indoors now the weather's turned?

My two hardly ever went in their ark, and when they did they turfed half the straw out the door, the trouble we went to building that thing, damn it! In fact they even stopped sleeping in their run, they broke out, trashed my entire field, snaffled any left over chicken or sheep food, and eventually moved on to next door's field - it was time to say Bye Bye.

I moved them back into a stable with our two goats - they used to live there all together as babies and got on very well again - and the pigs slept totally burrowed under all the straw on the floor to keep out of draughts.

They just do their own thing! If it's any reassurance, they do seem to know how to look after themselves. I think mine slept in sheltered areas under trees, and although it was 'summer' it wasn't ever hot and it rained loads. They turned out fine - better than fine, extremely muscular and made a good slaughter weight thanks to all the free ranging!

If yours have been outdoors in the cold weather they will have built up a layer of fat to keep themselves warm now - keep feeding them plenty and they do the rest. :)

They are intelligent creatures and as long as you offer them shelter they can decide if they want to use it, don't let anyone tell you otherwise.