Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

how many pigs ?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

The Blacksmith

The Blacksmith

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
How many pigs would it take to satisfy the means test ?

porkchop

porkchop

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

How many pigs would it take to satisfy the means test ?

hello mate

i have 12 sows and 3 boars which at present produce 120 piglets mainly for market, we intend to go over 200 piglets next year leading to hopefully 360ish the year after, i have seven acres of land split in to grass paddocks and all my pigs are british rare breeds and are free range, if you are only intending to be a small pig breeder like me please make sure you have british rare breeds as this definately helps when discussing your situation with the lpa, i have tamworths, british lop, middle white and british saddlebacks, the british lop is an endangered species but they must be lop society registered, the tamworths and middle whites are at risk and the saddlebacks are vunerable, this can all be checked on the rare breeds trust web site.

cheers

porkchop

The Blacksmith

The Blacksmith

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
Hi
Thanks for the info,
most of my land is steep hillside and has untill now mostly had sheep on, I am just thinking out loud at the moment for the way ahead.
So with rare breeds how many do you think would be the minimum number to fulfill the means test I have know idea of the market for pigs or costs, your rough estimates would be very usefull in my planning stage,
Thanks The Blacksmith