Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Getting stream/spring water tested for drinking

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

treebloke

treebloke

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
Has anyone had any experience of this? I have spoken to a company who have advised that to get the water tested we go to the local council and they will probably test the water free of charge but not sure if this is a good idea as the council may start poking their nose around.

A private company said they will test the water. two types of tests, the first basic test costs £60 and will let us know if the water is suitable for drinking as long as it is only myself who drinks it.

If anyone else is going to use the water, say for instance workers or if we had a caravan site then we would need to get a comprehensive test and that costs £600

has anyone had any experience of this. I am sure there are other posts on this topic but nothing came up in the search.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
At one of our local shows, we came across a company called Stenlakes which dealt with water waste and sewage solutions amongst other things. They arranged a water test for us and will then provide treatment works should the water need it.

However, we feel you have been given the right answer costwise because the regulations regarding a private water supply are somewhat different if the water is to be used for more than one household. Please also remember that there is a limit to the amount of water you can extract without a licence. Remember, too, that when it comes to running water, you should contact the Environment Agency because there are certain rivers and streams from which people are not allowed to extract water.

Have you been in contact with the Caravan and Camping Club to see what their requirements are regarding the quality of the water to be provided?

treebloke

treebloke

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
So do you recommend getting it tested by a private company than the local council? The local council is free of charge, so ive heard. Maybe if I get the water tested before I move onto the land they wont keep sniffing around?

Not got in touch with the caravan club yet, just concentrating on getting set up myself but its certainly something to think about. Thanks.

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
I made my wife drink our well water first for a couple of weeks to make sure it was safe for me that seemed to work quite well Posted Image

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
I thought you were supposed to use a horse :)