Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

cutting and mowing

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hello forum. My very recently purchased fields were last cut 4 weeks ago by the previous owner. The grass is now about 4" high. Will it need cutting again? If cut will it be better to leave or to rake and bale? I havn't had time to buy tractor etc yet.

Mant thanks

Sodbuster

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Hello forum. My very recently purchased fields were last cut 4 weeks ago by the previous owner. The grass is now about 4" high. Will it need cutting again? If cut will it be better to leave or to rake and bale? I havn't had time to buy tractor etc yet.

Mant thanks

Sodbuster

Its unlikely that it will keep growing significantly enough to cut for forage again,depending on how old the ley is and what type of grass,you can make silage upto Oct but grass quaility deterioates and is wetter,how many acres have you got and do you have stock

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Thanks GH. 17acres no stock this year. The land is a touch wet. 12" of soil and then clay. Hoping to drain it with mole pin thingy when the tractor arrives in a few months. The grass has a good mix of cloves in it but is a bit tufty at the base. Cant complain tho.Can drive a 2 wheel drive on it on the flat but wouldnt expect to do the same for long.

Sodbuster

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi GH-just saw your post on willow and read the info in Bowhayes trees.Fascinating stuff.I am thinking of hedging at the moment. I see willow is not evergreen but is the cover for a degree of privacy good in the winter? Amazing how quick this grows!

Sodbuster

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Sodbuster

Hope all is well , you will not ned to cut this grass again until next May at the earliest , you could graze with sheep for 2-3 weeks in the winter , just make shure they are off the land in the wet months and before the end of feb to allow your hay crop to grow ready to cut in june , our only dry month of the year nowadays .
Willow is great in summer but a load of sticks in the winter months , you could pland it four rows wide , stagered so in the winter it will still give a degree of privacy.

Shepie

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Sounds good to me. Thanks Shepie

Sodbuster