Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

electric supply new connection

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Cornish Gems do you run the generator at night?

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
No we do not run our generator over night we rely on the batteries to run a 12volt back up system along with inverters where necessary. The generator only runs for about 6-9hrs a day. Currently this is adequate for our current needs.

You have to be careful when using a genny as there are certain restraints regarding noise and emissions of fumes, we have had numerous communications form the Councils Environmental Health people.

The neighbours had complained of the noise, smell and the underlying hum that the genny makes we have however managed to get the ok from them.

CG

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
CG with ref to genie in pony trailer I am sure its all ok but if you confine them to much they need large amounts of clean air to run and cool efficiently,by enclosing them they draw hot air into the intake.I am aware of someone who built a small room arond his within the barn only for it to catch fire and take his barn out !

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
We are aware of this and with the exhaust being vented through the open man door and having two large airvents on the sides there is adequate air flow around the genny, I would not use this set up were we to need to run the thing 24/7, but it is satisfying the powers that be and our needs.

crocodile dundee

crocodile dundee

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationoutback
Well its been a 3 months wait for quote, and now they say they cant do it for any less! £21238.44 +VAT it is!...

Buckshot

Buckshot

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationCentral England
Hi,

We have a power pole plus transformer on our land a few meters from our barn.

Any idea what the power people would charge to drop a single phase off the transformer into a waiting box which we would get provided elsewhere?

We have heard figures of many thousands even for a trivial job - is this in fact the true state of affairs?

Buckshot

Buckshot

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 63 posts
  • LocationCentral England

why are people so odd when it comes to a newbie buying land?

They might be 'old country' whilst you are a 'townie', 'hippy' or 'blow-in'.

Also people hate change : an unused field is a better neighbour than a field full of bustling activity ... some of which might be noisy or smelly.

However the neighbours will start to get friendly after Year 6 or Year 7 .....

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Cost to us for the same but we needed a transformer was £5k

neighbours ha ha ha try 30 +years

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
Or maybe they were friendly, then when you get your permanent permission, they become very unfriendly.

KChally

crocodile dundee

crocodile dundee

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationoutback

Hi,

Any idea what the power people would charge to drop a single phase off the transformer into a waiting box which we would get provided elsewhere?

We have heard figures of many thousands even for a trivial job - is this in fact the true state of affairs?

If its aready a low voltage could be about £1500, i know 2 people that have been quoted that, if like me its 12000v will be more.

gazza49

gazza49

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Oh! Thank goodness everything in life is not as complicated and expensive as getting on the mains! :prankster: The pole that our leccy will come from is just outside our boundary by about 1 metre - in a field owned by the LA. Does anyone know what the largest single phase supply is? We have been quoted £12,000 plus vat for 3 phase by power company - but are having difficulty getting answers as to exactly what we will be /should be getting for that! Will we have to provide meters? Will they really just hook up a new transformer and sling the wire over the fence to our side for this amount of money?!!!

If we want supply to mobile home and 8 x 16amp hook-ups will only a three-phase suffice? How much do we need?

Would/ should single phase be much cheaper than 3-phase?

I have contacted companies on the LLoyds register that are localish about contestible works but they were disinterested - small fry - so much for competition!!

Glad to hear we are not the only ones clueless and skint!!!

Access to basic utilities should never be this expensive or complicated in the 21st. Century :shout:

Gaz

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hi. Just a thought. Is it vaguely possible to get elec power line attached to an existing telephone pole? I have seen the 2 (elec and telephone) running on one pole somewhere.

SB

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
HI SB,
I asked the same question as my neghbours wont give permision, but the lady who came out from the electricity company said no to utilising the BT Pole !

crocodile dundee

crocodile dundee

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Locationoutback

Oh! Thank goodness everything in life is not as complicated and expensive as getting on the mains! :prankster: The pole that our leccy will come from is just outside our boundary by about 1 metre - in a field owned by the LA. Does anyone know what the largest single phase supply is? We have been quoted £12,000 plus vat for 3 phase by power company - but are having difficulty getting answers as to exactly what we will be /should be getting for that! Will we have to provide meters? Will they really just hook up a new transformer and sling the wire over the fence to our side for this amount of money?!!!

If we want supply to mobile home and 8 x 16amp hook-ups will only a three-phase suffice? How much do we need?

Would/ should single phase be much cheaper than 3-phase?

I have contacted companies on the LLoyds register that are localish about contestible works but they were disinterested - small fry - so much for competition!!

Glad to hear we are not the only ones clueless and skint!!!

Access to basic utilities should never be this expensive or complicated in the 21st. Century :shout:

Gaz

Have they said you need a transformer, £12000 sounds alot just to put wires a few feet to a shed!, 1 phase would be a bit cheaper but its better to go for 3 phase to start from. it was £3000 more for 3 phase on my quote.

I wrote my cheaque out last week... best to close your eyes when doing it!!.
You have to appoint a electric supplier find one that does meter too for free, some charge!.Did all this last week been on going for 3 months(i have just lambed 430 ewes on my own too!) only just got back on this job.
Now feel poor but will look cheap in a few years the way things are going up!.
Its alot of money to spend just so you can get a bill!

gazza49

gazza49

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 14 posts
Yep, they say we need a transformer - we have lived in this hamlet 16 years - no mains gas, no sewers and very limited electricity, crap broadband - you would think we were in the outback, not less than a mile from a huge village!

Ah well onwards and upwards!

lyn

lyn

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Littleacorn did you finally sort out your electricity connection probs? Any advice for someone in the same boat?

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
HI All
our price for a single phase accross a rural road was £2,400 but becasue all 3 neghbours wont give permision they say all they can do is price for it to come to us from further down the road about 200 yards and more! so god knows what that will cost. They are going to give me a quote, I asked cant we make them give us the electricity, they said no not until all possible avenues have been explored. Probably means until they can rob no more money out of you!

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Have you thought of the feasibility of a wind turbine? We have noticed that there are quite a few isolated ones going up in the west country at present. and we are looking into it ourselves.

CG

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
no CG I have not looked into it at all,
do they make much noise?
how bigger one will we need for say house, a barn, ?
do planning look kindly

D

littleacorn

littleacorn

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Hi,

Hi Buckshot - We put in our permitted development barn specifically near to one of the poles on our land so that the meter could be housed in it but the electric company decided to quote on the other pole on our land (85m away from the barn site) as the nearer one had two wires coming off it so the transformer would be too low!?

Hi Lyn - we are still being messed around by SP energy networks! We couldn't get a reduction in our quote so we decided to go with the single phase. We paid our almost £11,000 a couple of months ago and arranged for the work to be done last Wednesday (they told us they needed 4 weeks notice so we gave them 6 to be sure). Someone came out a couple of weeks ago to check the progress of the work. Hubby has contructed a small block 'cupboard' (which will be incorporated into the side of the barn when it is built) - which was fine - and we told him that the huge trench (grrr) would be dug the next week. It was reconfirmed that the connection would take place last Wednesday.

We organised the company to fit the meter (the day after ie Thursday) - btw we first tried Scottish Power as although they are separate parts of the company we thought it might make things easier but, according to the man who I spoke to, they are not taking on any new commercial business! - and arranged the electrician to come the Monday before to do his bits (isolator, consumer board, earth etc). All sorted? .........No.....!

Wednesday - Hubby got to our field at 7 am in case they were early (we are not living there yet) - and at quarter to 11 the bloke rang up to say did we think 90m of cable would be enough when they came to lay it the next day!!! When hubby said 'what?' or words to that effect - he said he would come out and check everything. When he arrived he said that there would be no problem with the meter being fitted at the same time as them working the next day and 'not to worry' they'd be there around 8ish in the morning.

Thursday - Hubby got to the field at 7.30 am to find the man ready to fit the meter, he explained what had happened and the meter man said it all has to be in before I can install the meter - you need to rebook, hubby begged him (promise of £50) to come back in the evening. SP energy networks arrived at 20 past 10 - 4 vans of people - they laid the cable into the trench and said 'the rest of the work will be done in about a fortnight'. Saved us £50! but may have to pay £108 aborted visit fee for the meter man and still no electric.

To cut this long story (sorry!) short - they are supposed to be doing half the work this coming Wednesday 23rd with the remainder of the work on the morning of Monday 29th - the meter people have been ordered for the Monday afternoon (on the instructions of the contact at SP Energy - who promises the work will definately, positively be done). - we shall see!