Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

problem with sevices

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
Hello forum. Any advice on the following is welcome. I have at last had an offer accepted on land (hatwe haven't exchanged yet) and had the electricity board around regarding connection.The nearest phone poles and low voltage poles are 100metres away on the adjoining plot. The neighbour has changed his mind regarding me connecting to his poles even though I would have put the cables underground & despite monetary offers.There are high voltage poles 50 metres away (three cables on a tomber pole shaped like a hand pointing upwards). The engineer said that these were too high voltage for me to connect to. Is this true? The nearest electric and phone poles are about half a mile away. Whilst I could survive without electricity the telephone is vital especially for internet access. The phone poles in the opposite direction are also about half a mile away. Would I need to contact all of the land owners that the proposed poles would pass over bearing in mind that these would be positioned right next to the lane?

Has anyone heard of a way that telephone can be connected without using poles or cables i.e. via satellite, remembering that good internet access is vital.

Thank-you in anticipation.

Sodbuster

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Sodbuster,

We can relate to all you are saying,

1. regarding the poles and too high a voltage if they are HV cables they would need a transformer to have them stepped down that could prove costly and inconvenient to the electricity company. If however they are 410v cables then I can see no problems with it maybe they cannot get wayleave signatures from the land owners. Diesel genny does for our leccy producing 6.5KVA.

2. Re telephone we only use mobile phones and we also use mobile internet supplies by 3, it is relaible 90% of the time however there can be problems when you have heavy rain or electrical storms. But most days we have no problems cost is approx £13.00 per month. However it may depend upon your location as to who has the best coverage 3, O2 etc. We are located in North Cornwall out in the sticks so to speak but it does for us.

Glad to hear the land may be your soon.

CG

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts

Sodbuster,

We can relate to all you are saying,

1. regarding the poles and too high a voltage if they are HV cables they would need a transformer to have them stepped down that could prove costly and inconvenient to the electricity company. If however they are 410v cables then I can see no problems with it maybe they cannot get wayleave signatures from the land owners. Diesel genny does for our leccy producing 6.5KVA.

2. Re telephone we only use mobile phones and we also use mobile internet supplies by 3, it is relaible 90% of the time however there can be problems when you have heavy rain or electrical storms. But most days we have no problems cost is approx £13.00 per month. However it may depend upon your location as to who has the best coverage 3, O2 etc. We are located in North Cornwall out in the sticks so to speak but it does for us.

Glad to hear the land may be your soon.

CG

I thaught the electric company and bt have the same rights as the water board reguarding conections to services as in if the land owner wont agree then they will take him to court to get approval for a conection ?
I know when i wanted water from the pipe runing through the neighbours land the water board told me they needed permision from them in writing or they would just go to court and exercise their wayleave agreements etc to force the conection ?

Shepie

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
How many years ago was this? We only ask this because durng the last couple of years, so many things have changed in other areas.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Regarding BT. When they were privatised they agreed in a charter to cover the first £3500 of costs (and I imagine this is subject to go up in line with inflation) to a new connection where no connection currently exists. You would have to get wayleave agreements from any other landowners to lay the cables over or under their land but by far the cheapest method would be for you to dig the trenches and lay the cable.

As for electrics, that is always a costly measure. I don't know what the laws are regarding having services laid across others peoples land if they refuse permission. It does seem somewhat unreasonable as you have said, you are prepared to pay compensation which would cover any land damage (which would be minimal and short term). I could have some sympathy for a land owner refusing to allow services across his land if it were visible, i.e. above groun but for the life of me, I can not see how underground pipes/cables would have any detrimental affect? Are they ransoming you perhaps?

Cost of electric install over 100mtrs is likely to be around £10,000 if a transformer has to be mounted for single phase supply.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi CG

It was about for years ago when we had ours done , i dug the trench from their main to the lane and installed the pipe then from the other side of the lane to the trough (with a 3 bar pressure reducer in line to reduce flow incase of a burst ), they made the connection/ laid the pipe under the lane (3 meteres @£150/ m ) and installed the water meter ,charged £750 for their bit .

The best bit was when they turned up to do a quick job by using a mole to burrow under the lane to save digging up the lane but after spending half the day and having no luck they had to dig a trench across the lane anyway :lol: and close the land all night as they ran out of time . that will teach them to charge for a long job and try the quick route

Electric is in our field anyway but they still wanted £5 k to go 20 meteres and a transformer ?

Shepie

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Hi CG

It was about for years ago when we had ours done , i dug the trench from their main to the lane and installed the pipe then from the other side of the lane to the trough (with a 3 bar pressure reducer in line to reduce flow incase of a burst ), they made the connection/ laid the pipe under the lane (3 meteres @£150/ m ) and installed the water meter ,charged £750 for their bit .

The best bit was when they turned up to do a quick job by using a mole to burrow under the lane to save digging up the lane but after spending half the day and having no luck they had to dig a trench across the lane anyway :lol: and close the land all night as they ran out of time . that will teach them to charge for a long job and try the quick route

Electric is in our field anyway but they still wanted £5 k to go 20 meteres and a transformer ?

Shepie

Dont have a comment on this just thought I would go for a Full House :P

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Shouldn't you be out chasing sheep,, or are you showing today?
:)

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Shouldn't you be out chasing sheep,, or are you showing today?
:)

Up before the lark all done and dusted look for the rossetes in your local butcher ;)

surreydodger

surreydodger

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
JM visit bokked in for tomoz :)