Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

CPH Number - should I apply for a new one or is the old one valid?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

connylass

connylass

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands
Hi again,

I have recently found out that the old guy i purchased my 3 acres plus outbuildings from has said he registered it as a small holding years ago does that mean as i am the new owner i would have to do it myself or does it carry over and would it be still registered as a small holding ? how would i find this out or would it have ended when he sold me the place ? Any info on how or what i have to do to register as a small holding and what benfits does it have (if any) and does it mean i have to have other animals other than the 3 ponies grazing ? Many thanks in advance for any info received :-)

meekle

meekle

Duckling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRhayader - Mid Wales
Best thing to do is to ring animal health for your area, quote them your field numbers (from OS map) or an OS grid ref if you dont have the field numbers. They will then know from their system if the holding number is still applicable.

However, i would rather register a new one and deregister the old one. my reasons are as follows:

- an existing holding number will come with its bagge - i.e movement records and the like. YOU as the registered keeper of that holding are responsible for reporting back to DEFRA all movements and drug administrations etc. Do you know what went on at the holding over the last 6 years? DEFRA will want to know.

- also, once you have a holding number, various agri-schemes can be applied for. They may historically be paid to the old keeper, if you set up a new registration then any agri payments etc should come direct to you

- the old CPH number will have the old owners flock numbers etc attributed to it. I cant say how good or bad the reputation of the old keeper was, but you may find that if he had a bad reputation for paying up on time etc, that the holding number may be barred from some livestock markets etc.

All in all, i would go with a new CPH number because at least that gives you the chance to start a fresh set of records etc for your new venture

all the best

Mike

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Grants are applicable to the holding number payments will not be transferred direct,it is essential when purchasing or renting ground to establish this,they can be transferred using a CL1 form but only if the vendor wishes if not he can keep claiming even tho you own the ground.CPH and flock numbers have no bearing on reputation or credit worthyness that is an individual or trading name Enviro schemes carry penalties if ended early and capital claims may have to be refunded

meekle

meekle

Duckling

• Members
  • Pip
  • 29 posts
  • LocationRhayader - Mid Wales
I agree that reputations are personal, however, when we first moved into this farm, we used the existing CPH number and a lot of the markets around here work on trust. Seeing that old CPH pop up they werent interested in dealing with us - or alternativly cash up front basis was employed.

We organised a new CPH within a few days and now we can trade wherever without cause to be concerned about someone elses CPH.

I would personally prefer to start again from fresh.