Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Environment Agency and Burning Alpaca dung

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi,
I have had a spout of visits from the council and environment agency, It turns out my ugly neighbour is hell bent on making trouble!
first visit was from county council with regards to our new caravan, we were reported for living in it! this of course was rubbish, we had stayed in it for the birthing of our Alpacas about a dozen times,
any way I pointed out it was ancilery to the land as we had 16 Alpacas 3 kune kune pigs about 100 chickens, I was unsure as to whether we could keep the van there but the inspector said we could and agreed with what I said! Yay! so one to me.
I moved a skip onto the hard standing of my field and was starting to fill it with general rubbish from my home and field, the lady opposite came out and started to take pictures of my men in my company van and then reported us, so county council enviornment officer came out and said we were not doing anything wrong! two to me.
Yesterday I had a visit when I was out from the environment agency, different department because I have been burning stuff, 1 fire once a week, we were buring the pig poo, afterbirths and chicken and alpaca poo, and to get fire started I used timber that I had brought in. they left a warrent so I called them they told me I was not allowed to burn poo, but was unsure about the after birth and was also unsure about what I was suposed to do with the poo they were going to let me know.
can anyone shed any light on the subject please
regards Derek

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi

This relates to horses but could be useful

http://www.surreycc....ce?opendocument
che

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Or you could BRICK IT :lol:

http://www.equinecom...urnHorseManure/
che

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Or you could BRICK IT Posted Image

http://www.equinecom...urnHorseManure/

HI thanks, but Alpaca manure is different from horse manure, it does not need to be rotted down it can be used straight away!
just had the letter today, asking me to remove the skip from my land, they do agree it is only temporary and any building materials I was storing a few bricks and roof tiles i mean a few!
stop burning, and I need to contact them when I have complied! (no mention of the caravan)
all a bit over the top!
regards Derek

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Joking apart burning manure for domestic heating and cooking seems a good idea considering soaring fuel costs. From a planning point of view it increases sustainability and reduces the carbon footprint so complying with Agenda 21.
Perhaps it deserves a topic all of its own.
che

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
The burning issue is fairly straight forward just apply to the EA for an agric exemption on burning this will allow you to burn brash and farm related things legally.Think the builders van/skip issue is so thst the site is not used as a waste site,keep the skip and put some old fencing wire in it and more importantly some silage wrap and net wrap etc,it is your responsabilty by law to dispose of plastic products by not burrying or burning and keeping a record of where it has gone or a collection of receipt.I have a roll on roll off skip on a turnaround contract for that sole purpose.why dont you just make a dung heap the spread it every couple of years or get a muck away contractor to collect it

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Hi thanks for the info,
I will apply for a exemption on Monday does it have a special name? regarding the skip that was what was in it, just land related stuff and plastic bags! I have a carriers licence so I can dispose of it.
regards Derek

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
You say you have a carriers licence,if your van is written up they are maybe jumping to the wrong conclusion you are using the site for that reason,I know of a case where a farmer who also had a building firm was prosicuted because he was dumping rubble plasterboard etc on his own land,they persued him on landfill.Correct storage ready for collection by a licenced carrier of Agricultural plastic products is a code of practice.
They have changed the format alittle think you maybe able to do it online,they will be helpful.You just need to say you need to burn branches and brash when clearing braken or gorse and branches fromwhen you lay your hedges.You do not intend to control burn any area of gorse or woodland etc mearly small fires.They will grant you a tonnage per day if I remember correctly

barrymoore

barrymoore

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
Thats great thank you, I do have a building business, but I do not dump anything on my land, the land is practicaly park standard, I have albut iliminated the weeds and with the alpacas grazing it looks like a park, the letter I had reads quite inocently with accusations that I need to answer as you know if they say I have a skip then I need to photograph it showing the branches and potato leaves and fencing that is in it, even though a second lot came from different department and climbed in it becasue one of the neigbours couldnt get the first accusation to stick so they said we were burning in the skip which was a load of tosh! as I wasnt there they still left a warrent and asked me to call them (put completley the wrong number to call! but I tracked them down and they confirmed there was noughing in the skip for them to worry about but did say I was not to burn alpaca poo as they likened it to horse poo which it isn't as they are semi Ruminants and the poo is completly different. They said I was only allowed to burn un treated wood, I asked about the chicken bedding and afterbirths but they never knew the answer!
You know what I mean to have 3 visits in 2 weeks I think I may be being set up so Intend to take pictures and state my case and explain 1 skip in 14 months and my 15 fires and waste does not constitute a warent and a letter demanding I remove the 200 roofing tiles and maybe 100 bricks is a bit over the top
let me know what you think
regards Derek

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
Bet you its the builders thing if you have a 7.5 tonner written up dont take that in there someone will report you that you are using it as a depot to keep commercial vechiles,dont let it wind you up the EA will look favourable on you as you are acting responsably there are still plenty of naughty chuffers that have a fire of plastic on a foggey night Posted Image