Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

A different type of barn

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

F2Farm2013

F2Farm2013

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello, this is my first post after reading the book.

I am still at the information gathering stage of my 'dream' and been looking into different types of barns and came across a very interesting site called Smart Barn (http://www.smartbarn.co.uk/index.php) which got me thinking.

Would this type of barn be suitable for the F2F method?
I know the barn sizes are smaller the than the max 5000 sq ft but imagine you could have 2, 3 provided the max was not breached.
I know there have been other posts about the use of shipping containers on the land with mixed views but if these were integral to the barns structure and detailed on the 28 day notice then would this be a valid construction to proceed with?
I imagine it would be unwise to detail "sides of the barn made from shipping containers" due to the planning officers gerenal dislike to these so perhaps something more specific for example "sides of the barn will be constructed using a number of prebuilt self enclosed rectangular metal structures to offer support, storage and added security to barn".

Your views would be appreciated

Kind regards

Andrew.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Andrew i can`t realy see this one working it just looks like containers with a roof ? if i had a workshop or barn that needed a secure lock up i would personaly want the doors on the inside not on the ends , for 6 months of the year it`s p******g it down in England so going out each time i want somthing from the comtainers is not good .

shepie

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Andrew, welcome to the forum, personnaly I think you are on to a winner. The drawback is that it would be constructed extremely swiftly. However the idea of incorperating the containers is great, most containers are at least 8ft wide and would make a perfect garage for a compact tractor. Looking through their online brochure their suggested usage of the containers are both innovative and practical.

Incidently we do like the description you have given the containers, "sides of the barn will be constructed using a number of prebuilt self enclosed rectangular metal structures to offer support, storage and added security to barn" a wonderfull description ofr a container.

But at the end of the day they do not give the time scale that is propsed using the F2F route.

CG

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Hi Andrew i can`t realy see this one working it just looks like containers with a roof ? if i had a workshop or barn that needed a secure lock up i would personaly want the doors on the inside not on the ends , for 6 months of the year it`s p******g it down in England so going out each time i want somthing from the comtainers is not good .

shepie

Ive seen something similar somewhere but cant remember,think it was a race track they had just spanned 20 ft between 2 containers so had a leantoo type set up dead simple and provided shelter,it wont be that cheap 4 containers will cost you best part of 4k alone you can buy a fair bit of timber for that.Would recommend plans are of a recognised agri barn similar to other succesfull applications to your particular LPA

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
This seems like a really good idea and gives an opportunity to build up in stages ie starting with containers then adding the rest later. It also has the advantage that it would be easier to resell if nessacery. The security aspect is a plus and I assume the company would assist with planning advice.
A fairly green solution as well in extending the life of these containers. Assume a timber construction could be designed by those wishing to use F2F route. I personally think the original idea of slowly laying a few blocs will now be challenged by enforcement teams.
che

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Starting to get realy worried about you lot , just picture this in the middle of a field next to your house ! , looks like somthing you would see on a trading estate.

Shepie

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Starting to get realy worried about you lot , just picture this in the middle of a field next to your house ! , looks like somthing you would see on a trading estate.

Shepie

Or Thunderbirds,I havent got a house so it wouldnt bother me :D You could use Static caravans instead of shipping containers,anyone got photshop to see what it would look like

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Whereas I can see the initial concerns Shepie draws to our attention, I wonder how far different the metal container finish is, to say that of conventional metal cladding? Personally, if carried out in the way depicted, then I feel there is very little difference.

When it comes to the planning aspect, then my wording for the design statement would simply be 'metal clad building using steel supports'.

I do agree though that the construction time of such a building would be quite fast and in such, might not allow one enough time to develop ones farm business to the point that where you go from living as a builder to the time you have to apply for the temporary agricultural dwelling (3yr temporary).

For refreshment purposes, I still think it is worth remembering that planners will look at your initial move onto the land with a mobile home/caravan, as being for the purposes of being there to construct your permitted developments and not in connection with agricultural uses. The agricultural use of the mobile home/caravan is secondary and has no planning support at the early stage of building your business.

F2Farm2013

F2Farm2013

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thank you all for your comments and quick reply.

Kind regards

Andrew.