Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

What's a worm worth? Suggestions and useful links

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Clemmer

Clemmer

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello,

I'm thinking of starting off on the F2F route and I am considering what to actually produce.

I have been considering the worm option.

I realise that the castings are of some value and presume that it is a simlar value to compost.

I was wondering though:

i) What the bulk price for worms is? Assuming it is the D. Veneta/E. Hortensis.

ii) Does anyone actually get paid for taking away the waste that they use?

iii) Anyone know what regs control using waste that would have otherwise been council landfill?

iv) Are you better off with a field and apron to start, or in fact a hard surfaced yard and skips.

Thanks in advance for any advice or opinion offered.
Clem :)

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Hi Clem and welcome to the Forum. We think you would find it difficult if not well nigh impossible to prove that worm farming on its own satisfies the Functional Needs test. Also, part of the problem is that some planners oppose it as it isn't listed or clearly defined as being agricultural under the Town and Country Planning Act 1990 (336 (1)).

Nearly a year ago though one of us argued that it was agriculture (quote) 'Worms enhance the properties of manure and solids from slurry and are an integral part of the soil so I would say that they are agricultural, more so if they are used to recycle waste from your own land.' (end quote).

It always seems to depend on the local planning authority - some are supportive whilst others are not.

Incidentally, Dave's book points out that it is a viable add-on activity.

CG

Clemmer

Clemmer

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks CG. Posted Image

I understand that Dave's book has it as an add on. I was also thinking of Chickens. It seemed to me that worms could be farmed in a fairly intensive way and would act as a cash source from a relatively confined space, while other plans develop. Possibly some excess worms ending as chicken feed etc.

I was wondering as an aside, whether you could argue that it produces meat...as the worms can be processed into fish food and possibly for human consumption...if you are inclined to. Posted Image I would have to look up what DEFRA defined as meat I guess. Of course how that applies to T & C Planning Act I'm not sure...just thinking aloud I guess! Not sure how 'persuasive' it would be from a legal point of view :rolleyes:

I was basically trying to get an idea of figures to see how viable it actually is.

Thanks again.

Clem Posted Image

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Clem

The idea of feeding to chickens is viable and would allow you to combine this with straights feed that would be cheaper. When I researched the matter some time ago it was debateable whether it was agriculture and or whether it required planning permission.
A lot depends on your council but I would suggest you use waste pallets if you go for it. Not only is this a cheap option and if enforcement give you grief and insist on reinstatement you can burn the pallets and rake the soil over before seeding it.

Dave C
che

Clemmer

Clemmer

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for that D.C.

I guess I should ring the council then. Your suggestion would appear more practical than my thoughts of a raised bed on wheels :rolleyes:

Forgive my naivity,but do you put the pallets in whole and line with a membrane, or break them up first to make a 'bed' as such? If the latter I assume it is to replace the concrete bed method? Would moles be a problem?

Thanks again.

Clem Posted Image

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
I would only consider contacting the council if you are sure they can not identify you. The idea of doing it on wheels is good as mobile does not need permission.
We remove the middle section of pallets, the other pieces are used to make raised beds. Lined they could be used as worm beds.
Moles are much like planners "a pain in the a*s" Posted Image However moles can be trapped and gassed wheras planners are a protected speicy. Posted Image
che

greenmeadow

greenmeadow

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hi,
Land used for worm cultivation is technically rateable but I doubt many LPAs realise that.
Have a look at wonder worms website as they give a lot of information about costs etc

Green Meadow

Clemmer

Clemmer

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for the info and humour guys. ;)

Ithink it might be a bit late re: the identification, as in my brash way I have just emailed a load of planning offices! :o

I thought the answers that I get may be useful if posted up here and it would cut down on the planners workload if I did so. :P

Well I hope its a nice reply....all in good time expect ;)

Clem :)

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
Hi Clem

Link is to a worm farm for sale in Wigan with PP

http://www.uklanddir...le.asp?id=12600
che

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
OR this one http://www.findaprop...t=0&pid=6048805 :)

This is their website

http://www.priestaco...o.uk/index.html
che

hobbitmeadow

hobbitmeadow

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 76 posts
  • LocationNorfolk
Another consideration is, worms need feeding, this needs to be green waste or manure etc .
so having worms as a large part of the plan is really an uphill fight, you would be better to find something that produces waste ( pigs,flowers,veg,cows) then use the worm beds to recycle the waste.

If you do not produce enough waste to feed the worms this means you may have to bring food in, this could cause more problems than it is worth from a planners point of view.

We are planning 2 100ft worm beds this years and have looked in to this in great detail may i suggest you take a look at

http://www.wonderwor...al-worm-species

These people sell all the things you will need to start up as well as buy worms back from your harvest.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
For anyone wishing to add a worm section to their holding, there are some good bits of info at this website and one does not have to buy the book in order to read the blogs!

worm farming secrets/blogs