Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Looking to buy water for trees

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

mil6507

mil6507

Goose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Does anyone know of anyone/any company that sells water or hires out filled water bowsers around Witham/Wichams Bishop/Langford/Maldon/Tiptree - CM9 and surrounding areas? Looking at around 1000 litres a month in the summer and around 500 litres a month during the rest of the year.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Have you thought about digging a borehole? You might discover that it would be cheaper in the long run. Our borehole was done on the cheap and cost less than £1,000 but is perfectly adequate for our current needs. The quantity you require is well within the limits before one needs to obain a licence.

mil6507

mil6507

Goose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
That's a reasonable price. Could you advice how you went about it in terms of who did it for you? Our land is under article 4, I am sure I need to apply for permission. Did you have to apply for permission from the council?

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Mil,

Check out the wording of your Article 4 condition. Every one is different and does not always remove all of ones usual permitted rights.

jav

jav

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi CG

Could you give us some information on the bore hole, we have just had welsh water board up to us and because length of water pipe is 360 meters long it seems to be a long and lengthy process. it has more rules and regulation app and yes more money.

We were hoping to move in over easter period, but now it seems we
have to wait approx 3 months to sort everything out. r.e inspections, different departments and price between 3 and 6 thousand.

I was wondering what power of water you get from a bore hole and where to get a price, would it be enough power to run our caravan.

Thank you Jav

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Hi, our borehole was sunk by a firm in Hayle Cornwall, you will find one locally who will sink a bore hole.
you will need a submersible borehole pump this is arround £400 -£600 and if you look around you will find that it can include electrical cable.

Ours is driven by a generator if you have connection to the mains then you can use that.

The pressure ours gives is in excess of 1000ltrs a hour. which is higher than standard mains coming in to a house which is in the region of 14ltrs a minute at ground floor.

The cost is £1000.00 to sink the bore hole provided it does not exceed 50 meters, £400-£600 for the pump, then the cost of the pipe to bring it up from the pump, and to where you require the water.

You can do the whole job for in the region of £2000, and no more water bills and no licence is required if you only use 20,000 litres a day.

Any borehole over 50 meters will be expensive as it requires a full size drilling rig.

We use the water for the animals, irrigation of plants and fruit, and for personal use 'caravan' this is filtered using a 5 micron filter and even in this drought we still do not use the 20,000ltrs allowed, before you require a licence.

Hope this is of help to you.

CG

mil6507

mil6507

Goose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Thanks CG. Very informative. Our article 4 is a nightmare. We have to apply for a wheel barrow and pig arcs every time we move the pigs.

But 2k is a very good price for a lifetime of water and no bills on the side.

jav

jav

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Thanks CG. Very informative. Our article 4 is a nightmare. We have to apply for a wheel barrow and pig arcs every time we move the pigs.

But 2k is a very good price for a lifetime of water and no bills on the side.

Hi made me feel better already :) do you know if you can run it off a 12 volt battery as we have no mains.

Thank Jav

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
We run ours off a generator and fill up our IBC tanks and the irrigation tanks with it so we did not have to have it running all the time.

The tank for the accommodation is the one we originally covered with the loft insulation blankets (special offer from Focus - buy one get 3 free) to keep it from freezing up and now with the hot weather we are having we are finding that the blankets are keeping the water cold!

mil6507

mil6507

Goose

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts
Hi all,

I am being quoted between 15 - 18k in Essex for a borehole. Starting with a british geological survey prognosis costing 300. No way I can afford this to water a few trees. Quite disappointed really.

It's back to looking for buying water.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Hi all,

I am being quoted between 15 - 18k in Essex for a borehole. Starting with a british geological survey prognosis costing 300. No way I can afford this to water a few trees. Quite disappointed really.

It's back to looking for buying water.

Keep looking Mil. Maybe you're asking the wrong places!!

Good luck

Romany

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
So, can one just sink the borehole without asking anyone, or is permission from the EA/local water authority required?

Also (slighlty off topic I know) I'd love one of those old-fashioned wind pumps when I get my borehole... anyone know where I can get one? I've been told they can be had for around £500 by someone whose dad used to renovate them, but he doesn't seem inclined to point me in the direction of one!

Romany

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Hi Romany

From memory, there's still two main makers, both USA based I think (I did a wind project a couple of years back and memory is a bit rusty). You could probably get them imported without to much hassle. Think one was called Aeromotor?

jav

jav

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Hi CG

We are having the bore hole done next week, we are having someone out to pan for water next monday, then bore hole drilled.

We are doing the rest ourselves to keep costs down, the tanks you have how much higher than the caravan do you have them.

We are trying to work out for the pressure of water for shower etc.
Plus what is a IBC tank.

thank you ruth

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
I'd be interested in that info too please CG

Romany

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Hi, an IBC Tank is an Intermediate Bulk Container, it is a pallet size plastic container within a metal cage on its own intergrated pallet, it has a 2" tap and a filling hole on the top, it holds 1000 ltrs or 1 cubic meter of liquid normally although you can get smaller ones. We purchased a FOOD QUALITY one from Cornwall Farmers Merchants for £100.00 you need food quality for the drinking water. Most farmers merchants will stock them.

For the animals and in the polytunnel we just purchased 2 off ebay and with shipping worked out at £40.00 each they had had Rape Oil in them and well it make no difference to the animals or the plants.Make sure you get white one as the black ones may have had solvents in them, check before buying what the previous contents were as do not want to poison your animals or plants.

We have the one for the caravan raised up on 5 pallets and using a 20mm MDPE pipe we have it connected to a standard touring caravan water barrel using an automatic feed, we have a 5micron filter on this line prior to the water barrel. It is pumped into the caravan with a standard 12v whale pump and has suffiecient power for the shower etc. The water pressure to the barrel is in the region of 5 ltrs a min at its lowest when fulll it is more like 10ltrs.

Hope this is of help.

CG