Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

fertile hatching eggs and smd's

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

andrewrussell

andrewrussell

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
HI can someone help me with this answer ,on how do you calculate smd`s on fertile hatching eggs ?,as they need turning many times each day, temps have to be kept right, etc. I have looked up eating eggs man hours,but cannot find how much more fancy fow,l fertile eggs take, obviously they take a lot more,but is there an industry standard to which the council would go by or would they have to take your word for it ? this is without many hours of internet listings and sales to get these eggs out there.
I have sent for the nix book and I am awaiting field to farm book, I have had a glimpse at the contents of nixes book and cant seem to see a chapter on fertile eggs .
any help as to where to find the answer would be most welcome

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
If there is not one you can create your own by keeping records remember Nixs is an average based on modern farming methods and as such bear little relevance to what we are doing. It is up to you to put forward a case and the LPA then have to judge each case on its merit. If you are reasonable it is difficult to disprove.
Very few of us will be working less than the 7 six hours days each week to cover the 275 SMDs.
che

andrewrussell

andrewrussell

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thank you I thought maybe I would have to do this, I am trying to do all my homework first before going the whole ten yards and buying this land, it dose have one or two big fences to climb ,like scientific interest ,and it has been refused a mobile home before ,but they did like the pigs they had on the land,our general inquiries so far, they have said any chicken coops need to be on skids or wheels. I think the owner of the land now, just plonked a mobile home on it some pigs ,and thought all would be ok. Which had to be removed, now its just an eyesore whats left behind.
thank you again Andy

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Andrew, SMD's are all well and good for standard livestock however when running a business that has livestock such as bees and breeding fowl SMD's are not always the answer. LPA's under these type of circumstances normally accept a statement with your financial and functional forecast detailing your process and time spent. However they will expect if you have a large breeding flock you will use automatic or at least semi automatic equipment. If you check out some of the planning applications that are on this site as examples that people have found I am sure you will find the reasons given have been accepted.

andrewrussell

andrewrussell

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
Thank you for your advice I am reading though,the papers you mention,learning all the time.

markgoldwing

markgoldwing

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Are smd's to do with Standard Man Days or something similar - that is, the time it takes to look after whatever it is - Right?

thanks mark

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

can i ask what an smd
is
thanks mark

Hi Mark

Standard Man Day is what a farmer can do in 8 hours. Management books such as Nix's will give you an idea of how many days work are attributable to each animal. These are based on larger scale farming and so are not too representative of many projects here. If you look in planning cases section you will often see examples in appraisals
che