Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

smd for bees

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

andrewrussell

andrewrussell

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
HI I am new to this forum and I have a question on how many smd s are there to one bee hive ? its something we are very interested in ,and are hoping to get land to do this on,along with other livesotcks
thank you Andrew

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
According to Dave's smallholding book, bee-keeping is only to be considered as an add-on business. He says that it is a low labour iinput enterprise involding about 30 mins per hive per week from mid April to August. However, time should be set aside for honey extraction and bottling twice a year. We hope this answers your question adequately.

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
wow "30 mins per hive per week" try finding the queen then all the queen cells in the mean time the next hive has swarmed chase the swarm go back for more equipment catch swarm take it home blast no spare hive sort that out
started 8.30am finished 4.30pm next day 59 more hives to check this was my " bee buddy" a retired professional bee keeper later that week we started queen breeding any body thinks its quick is in for a shock ( if you have a good queen breed for your own hives but also very profitable like most things the grass is always greener

roger

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
Obviously those bees were not well-trained or had not read the book! LOL

Reminds us of our strawberry plants last year which came with instructions saying, 'zzzzzz - we are hibernating' and immediately proceeded to grow leaves and flowers, etc.

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
I agree Roger, quick it is not!

Honey extraction can also take far longer than expected.

Romany

roger

roger

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
Hi romany honey extraction the naughty way "scrape frame cells into filter leaving central wax sheet place frame back in hive. bottle honey. sell wax! all done no extractor needed. you can spend a fortune bee keeping but most of the equipment can be improvised but as you say it takes time

roger

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
Hi Roger
I'm lucky as I have a 4 frame extractor. However when I first started around 10 years ago I had one of those small tin ones that only take 2... ooohhh was that hard work!!

Can you explain what you mean about scraping... if I tried that I'd get the wax and honey all mixed up, not to mention penetrating the foundation... not good!! (ahhh just read your post again, filter will separate.... with you now... but what about preventing perforation?)

Do you have any tips for finding the queen? I still can't, I have only ever seen one of my queens once! So even with new queens I cannot get to mark them to make them more visible!

I also need to combine 2 colonies, do you think it is too late now with it being November? They were flying well on Sunday when we had the lovely sunshine here in Lincs. If it's not too late how would I go about it.. I do have books but they are packed away somewhere :(

Romany