Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Caravans and camping

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)
This is beginning to sound even more interesting!
So how much do you charge and what is the fee for?
Do you sell any home produce to the campers?
How did they initially find out about you?
Do have any kind of camping sign at your gate?
Do you advertise in the church?

btw - does the vicar seem to be on your side?

dollybassett

dollybassett

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

This is beginning to sound even more interesting!
So how much do you charge and what is the fee for?
Do you sell any home produce to the campers?
How did they initially find out about you?
Do have any kind of camping sign at your gate?
Do you advertise in the church?

btw - does the vicar seem to be on your side?

Hi,

I charge £5.00 per person per night, fee is for camping pitch, water, chemical disposal point(no more) and composting toilet in the soon to be reinstated toilet shed.

I don't as yet sell anything to campers, as my willow is in it's first season of growing.

I haven't advertised because of the appeal, but i do have a camping sign on the road, campers have come through word of mouth and because they have been passing my field.

I don't advertise at the church, and NO the Vicar is definitely not on my side

Dolly

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

... and NO the Vicar is definitely not on my side

You could always try to do what someone else I once knew who needed to get on the right side of the Church nearby - start attending and talking to the members of the congregation and before long you may become involved perhaps in doing the flowers once a month or helping to raise money at some raising money event. Believe you me, once the members appreciate you because of your input, the Vicar will have no option but to accept you and what you do. Mind you, the someone else I once knew actually started the idea of making kneelers for the Church and even involved some of the local children in a kneeler sowing class.

In our experiences, if one does something for the Church, then the Vicar has little option but to be on our side. We were actually married in a CoE Church because we had adopted it by doing cleaning and decorating work for it and the Vicar rewarded us by agreeing that he would perform the wedding ceremony - he had never done this before for one party who had been divorced, let alone the 2 of them, which is what the pair of us were!!!

Saleh

Saleh

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
  • LocationLondon

Hi,

I should also point out, the water supply was already on my land I did not install it, plus the Chemical Disposal Point, was

a wooden chamber over the main sewer, totally moveable, but the Planning Inspector deemed it was Operational Developement, so full

planning permission needed.

Makes a farse of a Exempted Camping Cert.

Hopes this helps.

Dolly

I was planning on going down this route, Caravan and Camping Club certified site, at the start of the project I was planning on using the campsite to attract Wwoofers in exchange for free camping/food. Is it possible to get around the full PP for the loo by installing a tree bog ie willows grown & shaped into a privacy screen with a compost loo ie hole in the ground feeding the willow tree's?

Thanks

Saleh
"Our model citizen is a sophisticate who before puberty understands how to produce a baby, but who at the age of thirty will not know how to produce a potato." Wendyll Berry

"The most insistent and formidable concern of agriculture, wherever it is taken seriously, is the distinct individuality of every farm, every field on every farm, every farm family, and every creature on every farm." Wendyll Berry

"... The genius of American farm expert is to take a solution and divide it neatly into two problems." Wendyll Berry

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
according to our recent visit from the camping and caravan club representitive. we as landowners are allowed to have 60 days camping a year. with 42 days being the maximum continuous site allowance. with 28 days being the maximum an individual can stay in a year.
so we are looking at opening our campsite last week in july all of august and the first week in september to cover a local festival. and the other 14 days at the end of june to cover another local festival.
i dont think we will be going with the camping and caravan club now.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
Bo, have you anything to support the above as we were only aware of one 28 day period in any 12 mths for one caravan only, would be interested in additional info or where to obtain said info.

CG

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
hi CG
this is the letter from the camping and caravan club that i will painstakingly type online for your perusal.

'PERMITTED USE' RIGHTS UNDER FIRST SCHEDULE,
PARAGRAPHS 2 AND 3 OF THE CARAVAN SITES AND CONTROL OF DEVELOPMENT ACT 1960
AND PUBLIC HEALTH ACT 1936.

Landowners are permitted to accomodate an unlimited number of tents on their land for up to 42 consecutive days or 60 in any
one 12 month period, although the maximum stay on site would be 28 days; if the total landholding is less than 1 acre then 1 caravan may also be accommodated, but the caravan may only stay for a maximum of 48 hours. If the total landholding exceeds 5 acres then up to 3 caravans may be accomodated up to 28 days in any one calender year. The club's use of the Exemption Certificate enables landowners, by application, to increase the permitted number of caravans to five, each to stay no longer than 28 days at a time, also for their site to be operational all year on a recreational basis.

Please note that the issue of a 5 Caravan Certificate does not affect the landowners rights to accomodate tents on their land. The number of tents allowed obviously depends on the size of the site ie. as a guide 25 to 30 mobile units per campable acre- 9 metres (30ft) square pitch, 6 metres (20) between pitches, and the number of facilities required, in conjunction with the Recommended Model Standards.

Exempted Camping Department

CG they must have passed this by their legal department before sending it out. hope everything is going well, Bo

section 269 of the public health act covers the time restrictions. http://www.legislati.../49/section/269

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE
nice find boiow
che

Romany

Romany

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts
That's great Boiow, thanks! Does that mean I can just set up, no need to notify anyone?

It seems a shame that you can't have two caravans if you have less than 5 acres - I only have 4 acres so 1 acre short of the requirement which would allow me to have 3. Does the 48 hours mean you can only have one caravan for one 48 hour period, or can a caravan be sited, say, every weekend of the 60 days?

Romany

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
So as we have over 20 acres that can be more than 100 yards apart twice over , does that mean that we could in theory have two or three camp sites allowing us 3 vans for 28 days and unlimited tents for 60 days but not more than 42 days consecutive , and either run them along side each other or one after the other meaning we could have 3 vans for 86 days a year and tents for 180 or 9'vans at any one time on three sites in our 20 acres or move from one site to another providing it is more than 100 yards from where they have just been and stay with us for 86 days ????????
Shepie

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts

LOL - that sounds good in theory! Would expect planners though to have screaming fits and start being even more obstructive than usual (if that's possible)! But it might be worth trying for one season just to see what their reactions might be. You could of course always split the land up on paper to different 'companies'. There are some very simple tenancy agreements available. If you decide to go ahead, do please let us know how you get on!

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

I am totally confused! We have a total of only 6 acres of land and have put aside about 1/2 to 1 acre for camping/caravanning. We got the man from the camping and caravanning club come down to have a look. He said everything looked ok and we could have upto 5 caravans and 10 tents and they would get back to me. The farmer next door, got a petition going against us. Just had letter back from C & C Club saying they were referring our application to the "exempted camping committee" for consideration at their next meeting in Feb 2014.

If this committee refuses our application, is that the end of it, or could we just set it up ourselves without the help of a club?  

Thanks

KChally

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

The advantage as you may know is that by going through either the camping and caravanning club or the caravan club, they promote it all for you to their members in their handbook and on their website so it's minimal cost to you, and they have powers to issue the licence required.

You can of course go it alone and open up your guests to the full marketplace, but you also then do all your own marketing.

If you don't get it with the C&CC there's nothing to stop you from then applying to the Caravan Club and see what they think, or indeed going it alone

Devon Cream

Devon Cream

Piglet

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Well - I hope that farmer's ducks sink and buckets leak! And the same to anyone who signs the petition. Are you allowed to challenge it as how do you know that al the signatories are bona fide?

How about raising a petition of your own - I will sign it!

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Its been quite weird really, because one of the signatories to the petition stopped in his car one day and apologised for signing it. He said he felt really guilty, but had to sign it as he didnt really want to drive past a field full of caravans. They even sent us a Christmas card as usual (we send each other one every year). If thats the case then why didnt he, or any of them, come and speak to us first about it, when we would have told them that we would only be having minimal caravans and tents on and only for the summer months.

Its actually about our farmer neighbour trying to control what we do on our land. Our land is  sandwiched between his and 12 years ago when the land went to auction, this farmer was bidding against us, but hey WE WON. So we think he does all he can to make things difficult. Well we have followed all the regulations (mostly) and got our permissions, which we think obviously annoys him, although to our faces he is very chatty and they also send us a christmas card.

People are so ODD. Why did he not come and talk to us and ask what our intentions are before doing a petition. Even now, he has never mentioned it and things go on just as normal, WEIRD!  

sodbuster

sodbuster

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Hi Kchally. We had the same senario with the neighbours and the Cand C club.

We wrote to them and provided maps showing extra planting/screening (and did the planting )

We said we could move the site to improve privacy etc...This seamed to appease them.

Also if there is a privacy issue you could just ask for a summer season opening as the tree groth is thickest at this time.

Good luck

SB

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi we had the same with the c& c club
They came and looked round said it was a stunning location but the council said the lane was narrow and the access on to the main road doesn't have a good enough visability
So they have put it to committee in February
They sat 2 days after our application went in and only sit everey 2 months and not in January so we will have waited 3 months !!
Not sure if we should put in a supporting letter before they sit ???

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Hi Sodbuster,

Good idea to send a map with extra planting, we could do this but I expect the neighbours will say the extra planting of trees, which I think would be best, even tho they take years to grow, restricts their view. We do only want it during the summer months, maybe late May to early Sept.

Hi Shepie,

Why is everything so long winded, its so annoying. Sodbusters idea of a supporting letter sounds good to me. Although now, out of principle, even if the C & C Club thing fails, we will do our own thing, just to make sure the "evil" farmer doesn't think he has won with his petition. Do you know the rules for doing it ourselves, bearing in mind we only have 6 acres in total. Do we need to make a full planning application to the council or do we just send them a letter telling them what we will be doing?

Thanks

KChally

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Had reply back from c & c club, they have said they will accept our application but only for tents and small motorhomes, not caravans as the lane is a single track I think. So up yours to the "evil farmer and his petition" next door.

Must say we are having second thoughts though about whether we should go with the c & c club or whether we should just set it up ourselves. Not sure though what the rules are re "going it alone" I am a bit confused. Are we allowed to do it ourselves without the c & c club exemption cert and would we need to notify the planners/council?

Sorry if this has been gone through before.

KChally 

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi kchally
You must have been waiting for the same c&c club committee meeting as us , well we also had the same result as yourselves due to access , I think we will stick with them for the advertising and keeping the planners of our back