Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Wanted tractor

Wanted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Kevin Peart

Kevin Peart

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationcornwall
Does anyone have any advice / information on a good source for buying secondhand tractors ?

Burl

Burl

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationChichester

Does anyone have any advice / information on a good source for buying secondhand tractors ?

Hi Try
www.affordabletractors.co.uk COMPACT JAPANESE tractors , they do good packages for small holders etc and deliver , I have one of thiers .
also www.cowlingagri.co.uk just bought a new one off this company and they do have second hand machines with again good service.
I have nothing to do with these companies other than being a customer :D
Burl

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Hi Kevin

You would be best to give a little more info on what you need the tractor for , as there are so many tractors for different jobs , i myself have a 4wd David Brown and a older 2wd DB , there are the massey fans too , chineese may be OK now but in 5 yrs time i suspect they will be useless like most of what they make !!!!

Shepie

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
I'm hearing nothing but nightmare stories of Chinese tractors so be wary of the much cheaper pricing. Also, the generators are usually fit for about a year then pop.

Im a Massey 290 4x4 man myself. Nice oldish tractor which has a lower centre of gravity than most tractors of this ilk.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Oooh get you SD sounding like a real gentleman farmer now ! :lol:
Shepie

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
It pains me to admit this Shepie, but it was one of my worst buys :( Although I'd recomend this particular model to anyone, especially working on hilly ground, the one I bought is a bit of a dog. I think I was asleep when I viewed it and struck a price. Even then I went away with a lot of doubt about it but like a true moron, still went back with the money and bought it.

Oh well, it does keep working but it is one of those deals which I will have to pay a bit more to finally get it ship shape. :)

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
Hey SD,

We have the same tractor with a sankey cab on it and have had no trouble, its great. (probably will now lol). In fact we keep getting offers to buy it at more money than we paid for it. I think luck does come into it with an older tractor, some have been hammered and others well looked after. In my opinion you need to keep your ear to the ground for any that might come up for sale in your local community/private sale, rather than buy blind from someone you dont know. They also go for daft money at farm sales, but you may be lucky.

I know a local farmer to me who has a David Brown 990 for sale at £1000. Hubby says its in okay condition considering its an old machine. Depends on what you want to spend. We have seen one like ours go for £7k. Just keep your ear to the ground. Good luck Kevin

KChally

Kevin Peart

Kevin Peart

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Locationcornwall

Hi Try
www.affordabletractors.co.uk COMPACT JAPANESE tractors , they do good packages for small holders etc and deliver , I have one of thiers .
also www.cowlingagri.co.uk just bought a new one off this company and they do have second hand machines with again good service.
I have nothing to do with these companies other than being a customer :D

Hi

Sorry been off line had major pc problems appreciate the advice

Many thanks

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wanted