Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!

The Farm Shop

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Guest_Canning Farm_*

Guest_Canning Farm_*
  • Guests
Hi Dave

I trust you are on the road to recovery and will once again be back on the forum on a regular basis.

My question to you which it is hoped you can expand upon is this.

Once the barn is in place, (for those out there fighting the fight for which I am confident you will win), some on this site will want to have a Caravan Park and will no doubt use one end of the barn to house the toilets/showers as described in Book 1. In addition to this what other uses can the barn be set aside for without the planners getting involved. Or put it another way what cant it be used for. I am considering in allocating a section of the barm to be fitted out to form a farm shop together with a section allocated for the hanging, butchering and prepartion of my produce, namely pigs. Whilst I know that any food prepartion on the farm will need to meet the requirements of the Local Environmental Health Officer and that any section within the barn will have to have a finished specifcation to meet Food Standards etc my question to you is this 'will the fitting out of a section of the barn to a FARM SHOP require Planning Permission for a change of use. If it does then how favourable will the Planners likely to be in view that they know you are living on the land, and in a carvan which we all know they do not like.

On the same point is there a difference selling your produce from the farm gate and selling from a farm shop. My question is not only to you Dave but to the forum. How are people going about selling their produce, as that is the business end as to what this is all about to meet our dreams. I saw series one of jimmys farm recently were he fitted out a small barn to form a farm shop and sausage making section. That is what I had in mind. Get the customers coming to me.

Finally, I hope to start another thread relating to another question at a later date, but I would like to ask part of it now as it links into the above question. The question is can the design of the barn be any shape. ie Can it be T-shaped or L shaped or rectangle having 2 separate annexe sides or any other design shape that you consider will meet your needs.

Many thanks and once again get well soon.

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex
Sorry, but you need to be a Field to Farm book owner to fully access this section of the forum.

To buy the Field to Farm book click the Products button to the left of the forum. If you are already a book owner please register or sign in and private message Admin the last word on Page 2.

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
Sorry, but you need to be a Field to Farm book owner to fully access this section of the forum.

To buy the Field to Farm book click the Products button to the left of the forum. If you are already a book owner please register or sign in and private message Admin the last word on Page 2.

Guest_Canning Farm_*

Guest_Canning Farm_*
  • Guests

surreydodger

surreydodger

Agricultural Planning Advisory Service

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,208 posts
  • LocationWest Sussex

Guest_sylvie_*

Guest_sylvie_*
  • Guests

Guest_Canning Farm_*

Guest_Canning Farm_*
  • Guests

che

che

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,166 posts
  • LocationSHROPSHIRE

che