Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Dead link 2

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

Ruby1

Ruby1

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Your reply didn't show pigsmitefly seems once the page is full it doesn't register

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

hi ruby1, thanks, it is happening a lot lately,  anyway hows you and your farm doing,

hope it is all going gooooood for you,

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

wondered why my phone threw a wobbly while trying to reply this morning

anyway, here's what i typed:

Eve, I'm flattered :)
Our 3 years will be up in sept 2018 (already!), but we are aiming to put in our permanent application ahead of that deadline.
We have no barn yet here unfortunately, I'd love one for the straw and machinery. Probably won't manage to get one up this year either.
The micropigs are relatively successful. We had 21 over 3 litters in Jan and we have 3 left (apart from 2 we kept back for primary school rental visits, they've already done a few and have 3 weeks booked in June)
It's an expensive venture to start, as like standard pedigree stock keeping, the cost is all on the breeding stock. We've just put a deposit down on our second decent boar and he's £1000.

Pigsmitefly, i've now forgotten what you asked?

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts
Hi greenheart,. I asked you, do you keep. Your pigs in 1 Field permanent, or do you move them regularly to stop them trashing the land completely,

I only ask as I am trying to plan ahead before we get our pigs,

Thanks for any addvice,

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Well the plan is to have enough pens to be able to rotate pigs through them. But we haven't got ahead of our increasing pig numbers yet

Eve

Eve

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
Hiya,

GB - Bloody hell, I thought our LB & OSB boars were pricey, obviously not!
If we gain our three year temp then we too would like to apply for our permanent residency before the three years are up, as we already have two years of books.
We have a meeting with the councils representatives at the farm next week so they can see the farm, how it works and discuss our business. The council will then take their opinion on whether we have a need to be on site, and whether our business is sustainable and viable. Nervous would be the understatement of the century!

Pigsmitefly - I hope your land purchase is going well. With regards to pig paddocks, we always seem to be chasing our tails and never quite have enough paddocks or arcs! Currently we have 4 big 2 acre paddocks that are our growers gilts/boars summer/winter paddock, so that's easy to rotate. We also have 1 half acre winter nursery paddock (weaners - 16 weeks), still trying to finish the nursery summer paddock! We have 10 farrowing paddocks, two of which are used by boars and another by sows ATM, we currenty only have two resting, and that won't be for long! As soon as we have have our planning confirmed we will build a further 6 paddocks summer/winter for our two boars and resting sows. That should free up some farrowing pens to adequately rest and re-seed. Xx

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

hi all, got a bit of a shock today, turned up at my land at 10 am this morning, was getting the old tractor mower out when I saw a 4x4 driving across one of my fields, thought who the f**K is that, got in my van and gave chase, they saw me and was off like a shot, I had to abandon the van and gave chase on foot, caught them at a locked gate, lets just say it didn't go down to well for them, the real shocker was that I'm very calm normally,

I think being a land owner now has made me understand how farmer feel and why they get grumpy when you go on there land,,