Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Not enough smd's!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Hi all,
Finally sold our properties, so now looking for land and started business plan while I have time lol!
I have been reading the new John Nix book. Great recommendation, learnt loads. I have tried to work out my potential smd's, but I am struggling as not all enterprises are in there.

Hoping to do meat chickens as main animal enterprise, plus campsite, few layers, ducks, pigs, veggies, Christmas trees, turkeys, pumpkins, cut flowers, homemade cakes.
However, I have noted in the book what a great return there is from wild boar,so if we are lucky enough to find some land with a few acres of woodland that would be ideal, however not many trees here, as ex mining country. The wild boar enterprise is one of the few things studied in the book that is not intensively farmed, so you get a true picture of the smd's required.

So, broilers:
1 = 0.002 smd, so 50 boilers = 1 smd. 275 smd's = 13,750 broilers, which is mad, so 1/4 of that is 3,500 boilers a year, about 70 a week to sell, still quite a lot to sell, but hey we have a few years to build up to that lol!
Also, I presume they are not processing these on site, sending them out, so if I am killing/processing on site (I have done a coPhaee) Then how many smd's can I add on for that?

10 x weaners to fatten up @2 smd each 20 smd

1 x layer chicken free range = 0.06 smd, so 50 is 3 smd

From here on it gets a bit sketchy....!

Ducks not mentioned so I calculated same as for layers, but only planning to have 5 so = .3 smd

Turkeys, not mentioned. 50 = 2 smd? But killing/ processing on-site as before, so should be able to add on extra smd for that?

Camping? No idea how to calculate...

Can you add in grazing land, ie. 4 ha @0.4 ha =1.6 smd?

Flowers, herbs, veg, Christmas trees? No idea how to calculate...

Btw No mention of cut flowers at all in the book, is this not recognized as agriculture?

Thanks for your help guys. Phae

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Boar need dangerous animal licence, and i suspect a few acres would give you a handful of animals. Not exactly profitable

Phae

Phae

Duckling

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • LocationCornwall
Yes, I know. Unlikely I will find any woodland round here anyway. Thanks!

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Think you are getting man hours and days mixed up
10 pigs would be 2.5 man days etc