Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Do I have to buy 5hectares?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

Silver birch

Silver birch

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi I'm new just reading the book, my dream is to buy some land and live off grid eventually in a log cabin... I understand the book is telling me to qualify to build a barn under permitted development rights whilst living on site in a mobile, I have to own or rent 5 hectares.... I've found just under 9acres and would love to buy it, and go down this route but would I be wasting my time?? As its not big enough?? On page 50 of the book. Thanks for your time lovely people... Xx

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Hi, to qualify for Class A permitted development rights 9 acres is not enough. 

Hold up, you can rent another 3.5 acres within 6 miles as part of your 'agricultural unit' to qualify for Class A.

Keep holding, you could also buy your 9 acres but apply for full planning permission for your barn etc with a good business plan. There are some advantages for this way of doing it, I'm not going into them now but if you are interested in going this way we can go into those. 

If it's a good spot and ticks the right boxes then buy it. 

Silver birch

Silver birch

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Thank you so much for your informing reply!! I love the land it has its own private track from the road and not over looked by anyone... Think getting a great business plan and applying for full planning is the way to go!! Will be in touch, will carry on reading the book.