Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

land queries

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

digitali5

digitali5

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi to all am new to site.

My in laws and I are considering selling our houses and getting a piece of land with the view to building a house on it for us all to live in.  We would (like to) put two caravans or roughcasts on the site to live there while we build which may take a few years to do (approx 2-3 maybe less I don't know).  We would look to have some kind of animal business on the site alongside suggestions on this website.  I know this is a broad question but is this feasible, I live in Norwich and land would be in or near to Norfolk.  Also someone advised me that after the footings are dug in the house needs to be built within 2 years, is this correct??  A pipe dream at the moment but any advise would be great.....Thanks in advance

Steve 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west
hi steve, with having two houses to sell, wouldn't you be better of investing in something like this….i know this one is sold, but on the lines of this…you could put a static in the garden..and work on the barn whilst the inlaws had the main house

http://www.uklandand..._lynn-dsitdvly/

digitali5

digitali5

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi J and H and thanks for the reply.  

We would like to build just one house and maybe have a static caravan too...Its just such a big deal for us with moving kids etc, we realise it will be VERY hard but we ok with that, we have all led an outdoor life used to roughing it and cold etc.  I own my house outright but inlaws have large mortgage to pay off why we thought to put all the money together and build an appropriate house for us.  Its a minefield regarding all the ins and outs and legal stuff.......

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Unless your farming venture is a large one i can't see you getting permission to build a house large enough for you and your in-laws

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Can't see you could ever earn enough from the land to justify 2 rough casts / statics unless your buying like 75+ acres

digitali5

digitali5

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Hi and thanks for both comments.  Sunnysouthdevon - I am really just getting ideas regarding which way to go.  Ideally as I said I would like to live on the land (if PP passed) while we built the house.  Does anyone know how long I can stay on the land and who can stay on the land and what restrictions are regarding building times and accomodation (I appreciate all circs are different though, clauses etc).  I am a complete newb to this but it is something I am going to do after I have everything in place.  ANY advice is greatly appreciated.......

Thanks 

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Have you bought the field to farm book?

digitali5

digitali5

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

No but am going to as it appears a great resourse I only discovered the site today..

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Read the book...... It tells you everything you need to no

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
If your in it together financially your also going to have to share a caravan too !!
Two is not an option even with 50 acres of fruit trees and sheep needing additional seasonal workers accomanation it wouldn't be all year round
The last thing you need to worry about is foundations , you will have at least 5 years of hard slog first to even get to the planning stage after you have lives in a caravan with the In laws that long you will wish you never started
Buy the book and take a loooooong read of it

digitali5

digitali5

Chick

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Thanks to all members for the replies.. if I have any more queries after reading the book I will return.  

Good luck to you all in your ventures be they new or ongoing....

Steve 

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
Buy the book..it will give you a better idea…if possible also buy the john knox and the ABC books, this shows you what you would need…being honest, as many have
said, being able to build a house big enough would be very very hard to achieve

personally, if it was me and i owned a house out right, i would still look at buying a smallholding with a added mortgage,,,i don't want to dampen your dream, but i would rather not lie to you...

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 65 posts

hi j and h, iv not herd of the john knox or the abc books, can you give me an idear what they are about, thanks,

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
John nix book gives you all agric costing / man hours etc I suspect the abc book does the same and they are what agents etc use BUT they are mainly for the large scale farm

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
yep as shep says…they give you an idea on what and how the authorities use to get their figures

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
ABC..agricultural budgeting and costing book

pigsmitefly

pigsmitefly

Goose

• Book Owners