Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Help for some newbies please Yorkshire

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

MaisiesDad

MaisiesDad

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi, we are very new to the f2f route but having read the book a dozen or more times, browsed on here more than I wish to admit and having bought 5 acres of our own and renting a further 12 acres the f2f route is one which we would like to take! Is there anyone who is further down the line than us preferably in the Yorkshire area who would be prepared to let me and my wife visit to have a first hand look at how you have done things and overcome barriers? Please reply or PM me a message, even just an email chat would be fab but a visit would be extremely appreciated! Thank you.

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

There's a few on here who post their stories, but I have a feeling many are quite 'southern'... although that may be just my impression as I naturally focus on the ones nearer me. 

But, just drive around your area, start buying eggs off smallholders and I bet you find a few who have some ideas... some you can copy, some ignore, some will be competition for you and some will be making mistakes that you'll remember and not emulate. You'll get real good local commercial knowledge too.

Good luck, it is exciting :-)

MaisiesDad

MaisiesDad

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Thanks for the reply and the ideas, we will certainly be doing that! Reading the forums it doesn't seem like there are many f2f's around us, we may have to travel further as I would love to see an actual completed or part completed f2f smallholding. We went to a local farm auction and got talking to some of the locals, most seemed very nice and willing to have a chat.