Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Hello - Newbies here.

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

Ema&Steve

Ema&Steve

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Morning, just introducing ourselves to the community.

Both my husband and I are new to this group, we found a link to the book last night and bought it, this morning from 5.30am I've been up reading posts and replies and have realised that we need to be on this site...

I'd like to introduce ourselves - I'll leave questions till after we've read the book.... We both have full time jobs, and run a plant nursery in Cheshire. We also have a lot of animals.... Our aim in the next few years is to sell up, buy land and open the nursery full time as well as farming the land and expanding the list of animals to suit our needs. We currently have a 'normal' house and rent 1acre about 10minutes away.

While I know its not that simple but we are going to be living on our site in the future, we've spotted some nice mobile log cabins that will suit perfectly. I'm hoping to share some of what we know and hopefully get some much needed advice back on our little project. 

So for now 'Hello' from

Ema & Steve, the 4 dogs, cockatiels, chickens, ducks, geese, rabbits, quails, the golden pheasant and george the turtle :-)

Attached Files

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Good morning and welcome :-D

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

welcome

good luck with your journey, sounds like you are a decent way forward before even finding f2f.

best bit of advice i can give you is read the book and then once you have read it, read it 10 times more.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

welcome to the mad house….look forward to reading your journey…right..back on with the wellies , don't you just love this liquid sunshine lol

Ema&Steve

Ema&Steve

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Thanks for the hellos, we certainly have a long way to go... we are off to the nursery ourselves.... animals to feed :-)

Tom Bombadil

Tom Bombadil

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Hullooo to you.

shepherdscove

shepherdscove

Goose

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
Hi. Hoping to begin our own journey very soon. Literally - as moving from Farnham to Devon...that's Laine, Steve, our daughter, Elmo the basset and our 2 kunekune Moomin & Womble!

Chris1

Chris1

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • LocationCheshire

Welcome, Ema & Steve.  Shame about the 'normal' house, but you'll get over it... (Terrible word, 'normal')... :haha:

OaktreefarmAndy

OaktreefarmAndy

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello all

Thought I would introduced myself. I bought 13 acres in 2009 with ideas of running a poultry business that's how I started with 28 chickens, a shipping container ,and a tiny touring caravan. Six years latter I am running a successful children's farm aswell as the poultry business . I have done all of this without planning permission it's all been built on GPD

The farm is of grid has its own water via a bore hole and I produce my own electricity using solar and wind power.I am writing this to give hope to all the people who are dreaming of having there own small holding. it is possible don't give up!!!!!

Just putting planning permission in to build an agricultural dwelling to replace my static caravan.
Don't think the council are gonna like it but they hate me anyway. Who cares!

I will try to post and reply to posts when I can but as all smallholders know I don't have much spare time.
Ps. Don't believe anything the council tell you.most of the time the just guessing.

Ema&Steve

Ema&Steve

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • LocationCheshire
OaktreefarmAndy,

Hi... you've done exactly what we want to do... only add more animal types and plants :-) Would love to find out more... Currently we are shopping for land... watch this space. 

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Like your website Andy, good photo's :-)

Brydekirk

Brydekirk

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi guys.
Another newbie here. Just got the book (not read) but the forum is great.
I'm an old guy with some arthritic problems, so I won't be going out to build an earth ship but still have the dream.
Just bought 9.3 acres in Scotland. Beautiful land with river running though it, access needs a bit work but it feels great just knowing your a bit closer.
Cheers.

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Hi Brydekirk... Would that name be a hint to your location!? Welcome to the forum, it is very quiet nowadays but maybe with a few new people it will pick up again. Hope you enjoy looking through it all, the members diaries are good reading!

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Brydekirk - good luck, nothing can stop your dream, we bought our land partially with cash my wife received when she was made disabled in an accident. She couldn't reliably walk 200 meters when we bought it and she wore an aircast when we got married 5 months before.

Her health has improved massively - not saying it's a cure for arthritis, but you find a way.

I'm waiting for an operation on my ankle... waiting is the wrong word - I am waiting for a time I can afford 3 months off work and 12 months recovery! My ankle has loose chips of bone floating around in the joint - some days, those chips are in bad places and I can't walk. Some days they are in places that don't matter and I am almost normal.

Good luck - yes, it feels awesome!

Brydekirk

Brydekirk

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Hi Brydekirk... Would that name be a hint to your location!? Welcome to the forum, it is very quiet nowadays but maybe with a few new people it will pick up again. Hope you enjoy looking through it all, the members diaries are good reading!

Brydekirk

Brydekirk

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
Hi, I lived in Brydekirk for a few years and use the name for sites like this, I'm an hour + North of that.
That 12.5 acre rule is a pain in the ass.
Cheers

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

you can own 1 hectare and rent 4.

My pension scheme is our landlord for 9 of our 12.5 acres :-)

We pay the going rate to rent the land, it goes into my pension as a contribution win:win

Brydekirk

Brydekirk

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

you can own 1 hectare and rent 4.

My pension scheme is our landlord for 9 of our 12.5 acres :-)
Thanks you, this could be a possibility.😃

We pay the going rate to rent the land, it goes into my pension as a contribution win:win