Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Chickens

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

OK, this weekend we are building a large run for our chickens... broadly we are running a fence round our orchard, which will have a ground level electric wire and one along the top of the fence.

We are also having a proper fenced coop area and inside that will be the shed.

Mainly we want egg layers and we have been working on the idea we'd get some rescue chickens.

But I also want Brown eggs, Blue eggs and white eggs.

What suggestions of breeds do you have.

Was going to get some Dorkings for meat... other suggestions?

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

we have fresh start for hens rescue hens, hybrid warrens good sized eggs slightly less than 1 a day at 18 months old, pol are 1 a day...find them on facebook they have a rehome coming up

im not sure which give blue eggs but wraysbury poultry group on facebook will have answers and birds available

meat birds, cant bear a la bresse and they give gorgeous white eggs

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
We have blue, white, cream and brown of various shades, I can let you know who lays what later today

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Greenbeats - it was your eggs that made me realise the importance of presentation, even of eggs!

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Greenbeats - it was your eggs that made me realise the importance of presentation, even of eggs!

My experience is the simpler the packaging/presentation the more accepted they are as being from the farm, we always ask people to come to the farm, meet the hens, see the hens and buy the eggs at £3 a dozen, they sell themselves and we are getting a regular 2 dozen a day going on repeat sales

anyone that comes to the farm is welcomed and we spend time showing them the pigs and alpacas telling them about all the things we are doing, going to sell etc, we know they will be our advocates in times of need and also our customers

billie

billie

Lamb

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Locationsouth coast

With our electric fence we have 2 strands one 2inch and one 4 inches off the ground and the top one is set off the fence about 8 inches this works really well for foxes and rabbits.

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

we have an electric poultry net, so far so good with keeping mr/s fox at bay....we know they are watching as we scared one off the other night

ive friends who have wire strands on fencing that have lost chooks but so have people with nets

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
Our coloured eggs, jams and their packaging are primarily to get our name and brand into people's homes. So we have an 'in' when we start selling pork (abattoir booked for first three in two weeks)
The one thing I don't like about them is that they are plastic. But they are PET, so can be recycled.

tonydockers

tonydockers

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
Greenbeast
Looks amazing, well done.

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Adrian, Araucanas will give you lovely blue eggs, and Marans will give gorgeous array of browns.

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts
They're the ones, thanks beastie. It's my good lady that sorted out what to get

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Fantabulous, thanks TB, they'll be on the shopping list right along with the rescues.

Yep - GB - need a way to try to get the e-mail addresses of said customers as well...

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

We also have White Rangers laying pure white eggs, massive ones at that, some we can't sell as they're so big (with double yolks) that we can't fit them in the boxes

Greenbeast

Greenbeast

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Fantabulous, thanks TB, they'll be on the shopping list right along with the rescues.

Yep - GB - need a way to try to get the e-mail addresses of said customers as well...

yeah it is tricky, just make sure your packaging leads them to your website :)

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

White Rangers sound way cool!

:-)