Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

HELP needed regarding Robin Generator!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

We have been using an elderly Robin generator for some time and it has been doing us very well. It was capable of running everything we asked it to do. THEN nearly 3 weeks before Christmas the handle of the pull chord came off. We found someone willing to reconnect it and brought it home again. Whereupon the handle promptly came off again without giving us any power in the meantime. It was fixed again and we got it back in time for Christmas. Once the holiday period was over it gave up the ghost again.

Why? It was working perfectly well until the handle came off!

Please does anyone have any suggestions as to what we can do? The rental of a generator from Eagle Plant is crippling us and we are so afraid that we are going to reach the point where we have to give it all up.

This would be such a shame as we have been on our land for over 4 years thanks to the book and this Forum.

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
There are lots of parts on ebay and lots of company's that do spare parts on the internet
Any local AG engineer will be able to test the engine or electrics for you
Best to buy one and sell it later rather than rent one

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
There was a 15kva genny on ebay the other day going xheap

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Sad to hear that guys, sounds to me like it's had a knock in transport which has maybe damaged the alternator? But also, do test the basics ie make sure the power is not somehow 'getting lost' ie loose connection between the alternator and the outlet.

Also worth considering is that the alternator can stop producing power if the generator is shut down with a load on it, in this scenario it is possible to get it to produce power again if you use a 12v power source to 'field flash' the coils on the alternator- google it. You could always buy and fit a new alternator, not going to be much, maybe 200 quid. Don't be afraid of them, just sit and think about it long enough and you will work it out I promise.

Beyond that I'm not much help without seeing the unit.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

i just managed to find a brand new 6.5 kva Diesel genny, still in box for 150 quid, it was bought by an old farmer as back up…never been out the box

keep looking, something will turn up

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

We have been looking for nearly 5 years now and have lost count of the money we have wasted on stop-gaps whilst hoping that the next time we would be the first to reach that 'bargain'.

Originally, we were going to have a wind-turbine, but the new government changed the allowed distance between turbine and neighbours without needing to have their written permission. Permission was not granted because the sound of the blades might 'disturb the horses' and there was nothing that could be offered them which would make them change their mind.

Then we were going to have solar panels but Western Power said that the sub-station could not handle any more. Thus we were very surprised to read certain planning applications recently. 

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Ebay 10 kva diesel generator electric start ex Gpo just add fuel tank delivered to your door for £60
It's a start
No mains/ Eco would have fried my brains by now , maybe that's why you have been so quiet for 7 months ??
You must be near to putting in for a permenant dwelling now CG

bramblebasher

bramblebasher

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 509 posts

Cornish, I don't get it, I thought you were off grid, why would the substation capacity have anything to do with it? Are you planning on going to mains and incorporating your 'renewables' into the grid for feed in tariff later down the line?

Shepie, yes it does fry ones brains.