Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Electric supply to barn SSE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

jsprince

jsprince

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Hi 

I don"t post very much but having now had my land 2 years and running a generator I have given serious consideration to mains electric.   Especially as am slowly trying to build up my land holdings.

My neighbour down the road who built the barns and divide the plots had a quote when he sold them 4 years ago of £20k for both barns, but when he sold next door they weren't interested in stumping up half the cost so he didn't go ahead.

My quote today

sse have quoted £93k for installing 750metres of high(2/3) and low (1/3) voltage cable and installing transformer this is 40kva 3phase.

Contestables come to £73k

Non contestables £4k

All plus vat.

Plus the cost of solicitor and landowner next door for easements.

Can I ask do you think this is ever going to be priced at a reasonable amount we were hoping for £30k?

Or better to invest in solar power and wind turbine, we already have a 30kva generator old noisy but reliable.

Thanks

Jsprince

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Thegreatescaper

Thegreatescaper

Turkey

• Book Owners
  • PipPip
  • 80 posts
  • LocationMid Essex
That is a great bit of info that there is a tarriff available for renewables not connected to the grid, i thought they had to be to qualify. I have no intention of ever connecting to the grid and this could make a big difference to the affordability of a system.

jsprince

jsprince

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Thank you both,  I had thought about solar on the barn as it faces south and at 60ftx40ft has a nice big roof plus we are on top of hill so possibly a wind turbine as well.

I think its just I like idea of going in barn and flicking a switch rather than fiddle for ages unlocking  container which has had to be made extra secure because of thefts in area,   power on generator.

I didnt know i could claim any payments as I thought you had to be mains connected, thanks for the info.

I will now look at solar generating.