Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

making a track

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

i need to do a little landscaping, to be able to get from one point in the field to the other, i won't be laying any aggregate, just taking the turf off and levelling a pathway through, this would enable me to drive safely instead of at a side angle…..this is going around the edge of the field, and not through it, surely this would not need permission, would it

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Just ask the planning department if you need planning to remove some topsoil from a field , I think you will find the answer is no !
If you build a bank along the edge with the spoil it can easily be dragged back over if there was a problem

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

that is what i had in mind, no materials would leave the field

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

bottrack_zps7ebe3903.jpg

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
Have you all permissions in place for building works etc before starting ?
If not I wouldn't do any other works until you have , but then who knows you may get away with it
Just remember to play the game, others on here have tried to be clever and caused themselves a right load of grief ( not saying you are being clever !!)

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

haven't started any building works at all…. rang council planing office, need to put in a answer form, that cost 40 pounds, as they have a NO FREE ADVICE POLICY ...

i know from others experience, they want to see a business up and running, before granting the PD.. i need storage, to get storage, i need the track in...

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

tempting to crack on but as shepie says would hang fire,wait until barn is up and you are a farm !!!! Then start putting in tracks you can soon fend them off there is lots of pd under access and in the course of agric/forrestry operations,read through the GPDO and you will soon find a catagory or 3 that is PD for you.I made more tracks than you could shake a stick at

Need storage to get storage need track !,access to the barn is one thing,but tracks to other areas is another,technicaly crack on with it but if you  do stir things up it will just muddy all your other plans and time schedules

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

I know you guys are right, and i am annoyed at myself for over looking a very basic problem, the place does have natural flat ground at the top of the fields, this will be be fine for the quad and trailer ,

also getting to the tops of the field will be no problem, as the land has a natural dip, which would also make a natural track, if you know what i mean, 

the top of the hedge row on the left of the picture has a 6-7ft wide flat area the full length of the hedge…both sides…plus a gateway, so access to top field is also easy,

i will just have to alter my plan, then rearrange once the 28 day PD has been passed

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

the reason for the bottom track would have simply meant the container would have been out of sight…not hiding, just from a security point of view

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
You could get a contractor / farmer to move the container with a tele handler to where you want it , they can lift up to 4t

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

my thoughts exactly

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

or you could roll it on poles with a donkey pulling it :agree:  Just like the Egyptians did

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

lol.. the containers can go by the main gate, as shepie says, they can always be moved later, either by forklift or two incredibly strong mules  :nyam:

elegantstorm

elegantstorm

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Sorry if I'm stating the obviously but a 20' container empty is about 2.2 tonne (they conveniently have their nett weight on them) and a 40' 4 tonne or so.

There are large forklifts that will lift them, but most farm telehandlers will lift about 3 tonne and that's at the headstock.  The further away the weight is from the headstock the less they can lift.  So due to the size of a container I would have been surprised if one could lift even a 20' container, it would need long forks to do so, and it would be 20' wide when being moved, so to get it down a track it would need to go on a trailer and lifted off at the other end.  I lifted one off a trailer that was put on by a hiab, but I lifted one end only with chains and dragged it to the back of the trailer and lowered to the ground, and then I lifted the end still on the trailer, drove the trailer out and lowered to the ground.  I think I could push it (on concrete) or drag it, but doubt I could lift the entire container.  My advice is get it put in the right place first time!

Also whatever your own plans are, consider getting larger vehicles, tractors, trailers down all your tracks and around corners.  I've come across alot of fencing that is fine for a little tractor, quad or horse, but as soon as a contractor is got in to bale a field etc they can't get in.  Some farming equipment is <10' wide (our conventional baler would fit through a 10' gate with precision driving provided the gate was hung between the posts.  If hung on the backs of the posts it would be too narrow.  My preference for gates you can drive straight at is a 14' gate, if you're turning you need much more.

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

our land would not warrant me using anything big, simply because its steep…all mowing , ploughing, planting, will be done with quad or BCS two wheeled tractor, or natural grazing

the main entrance will have a straight line track to the proposed barn….from the main entrance…. the little track i would also like, runs along the bottom hedgerow to the middle of the field, this would give me easy access to feed cattle, sheep and pigs from a central point, this would also mean, before the proposed barn is built, i would have animal feed, and storage of the proposed barn material plus security for farm equipment listed above, plus by making a frame, and covering it with a tarp, this could act as a temp hay barn between the two containers 

because the land isn't flat, we have had to look at doing things differently , a bit like hill farming, make the most of what you have , and use it to its best ability

every hedgerow, has a good 6ft flat strip running the length..this will be easy to get a quad and trailer around, the larger animals such as cows, do have their own entrance further down the lane..thats why i would use that part of the field for those animals…no need to struggle with a stock trailer…sheep can be put in to paddocks right from the main track in, once again, no problems there…. pigs would be no problem either…when we get bad weather, the sheep in the top field can be brought down to the lower paddocks, this would mean, no need to get up big slopes for the sake of it...

this is why the little track would be so important

all deliveries would simply use the main track in, and need not go any further

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

hopefully, this will show why the access track is so important, as you will see, where the container need to be, is the point where there will be easy quad access to the rest of the fields

f2f_zps762a18d5.jpg

Sunnysouthdevon

Sunnysouthdevon

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

j and h just outa interest were abouts in devon are you guys?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

at the moment east devon…but moving west

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Just had a thought I know of someone very very close to you that could "drop" it in place for you

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

lol…. i hear what you are saying….. but trust me..that would be very very very expensive ……..

now i have had another idea…..maybe i will do a little ploughing…i am sure with enough runs through, and a bit of harrowing….and some rollering i may just create something flat enough and hard enough  to drive over…. underneath the topsoil is shillet, i think thats how its spelt, after all, i want to construct some raised beds beside what would be the access track…. so the top soil would be put to good use….