Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Static has arrived...

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

My spellinmg is fine.. my typing though... shocking!

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
We'll for a start there is a department in the council that deals with addresses
/ postcodes just tell them that you need one for the farm office that will be in the barn then they can't say no as all businesses need a post code !
You will need a name ( axe head farm ? )
The post office didn't like giving them out but it's nothing to do with them now
And you will need a post box there too

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

the static is for use, whilst constructing a barn for agriculture use, you are NOT living there…so why would you pay community charge…you will not be putting rubbish bins out...

the farm is an agriculture business..you can have letters delivered to the business….

what you do with your personal gear is up to you….i think its a good idea what you have done, even if its a tad expensive way….

i would also guess that one of the rooms in the static will be used for animal feed and meds..seeing as you will not have much other storage, also showing the static is being used for agriculture purpose,

get as many animals on site as quickly as possible….show those who need to know that the business is growing

tips…keep the place looking tidy and like a professional business, you will need to build a customer base, sooner rather than later….its hard to gain a customer, and twice as easy to loose them , if the powers that be see a good business growing, they can't say there is no business there…...

last but not least..well done and good luck….keep us posted

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Congratulations and commiserations. Damned neighbour, hope you can have a little snigger at the thought of his phone melting as he rouses the entire parish council from their post lunch snooze. Plenty on here will keep you right, best of luck and as above, keep posting. Oh, and be nice to the postie, as well as bringing mail they are a font of local knowledge ( aka gossip).

boiow

boiow

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Seeing as your neighbour has already 'grassed you up' you might as well be prepared.

1   Unless the council send you written confirmation that you are residential ( ask)  then you do not have to pay council tax.

2    The council will only give out addresses to registered businesses or residential units. so you will have to erect a post box and get as much mail delivered to your new address as pos, so the PO know you exist.  You will have to get on postcode databases via the backdoor by sheer force of numbers.  (  We did that and it works)  Insist that all correspondance from the council comes via 'snail mail'. Do not be tempted to offer an alternative.

3 ' show me the legislation that requires me to have a residential address'    Get post delivered  straight away.  Use your lovely neghbours postcode but change the rest to your address.

4 Good idea about personal stuff.  You can move it on at your leisure over time.

Erect as much natural screening as possible and when dealing with the council let them know that you will not be taking any shit and if they want anything from you it must be in writing backed up by legislation and you reserve the right to charge for correspondence not covered by statute. I suggested to our council that all our correspondence goes to their legal department.   We have no problems ( so far) from our council . 

It takes a few weeks to realise that you know more than the council about your 'rights' and that is a very empowering feeling. 

I wouldn't advertise the fact that you are staying there.  Best to keep all as quite as possible.  Every now and then leave a small gift on your neighbours doorstep. ( big bar of chocolate, bottle of wine)  but don't tell anyone or get caught.

My girlfriend drove back our grumpy neighbours wife back home after she had a fall and we got unasked for praise all round the area. 

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

You would be advised to phone the assessors office at the council and say that you are living in the van from the day it arrived. They do not speak to the planners but they will come out and give you a band A council tax for the caravan and ask them to tell council tax department date you started living there. I am of the opinion, perhaps misguided, that every bit of paper from official departments adds a little to your case. I have been rated for residential (Band A) AND I have been rated by the assessors as a business. That is because if necessary I would try arguing that if the council assessors say I am a business then I MUST be a business. Of course although I am rated officially as a business I do not pay anything because I am exempt!

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

but don't you need planning permission if you are living there…as opposed to staying on site whilst undertaking engineering work, surely even though paying community charge, the planning office could then say you have no PP to site a habitable dwelling…. if the law in applied correctly by all parties, under PD the caravan is simply being used, not lived in, 

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

you are not living there so dont you pay community charge

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

But Adrian007 says they are staying there --- which is living there and if you live somewhere surely you have to pay council tax for that place..

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

They are "Staying There" whilst engaged in engineering works,whilst building the Hindhead tunnel there were lots of people there in mobiles for a few years,they didnt live there.You need planning to live somewhere come on Happy thats the first rule when you move on !! When approached by enforcement officer thats the first little trap they fling at you If you go racking up to the council offices with your chq book in your hand telling them you live in a caravan in a field and saying "I would like to pay my community charge please" Ummhhh !!!! :slow:

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

staying there , yes….whilst working on the construction of the permitted barn…the static is  being used,  for health and safety, for storing animal feeds and meds

i would also say the shipping/ storage containers where, simply keeping the Barn parts, tools, field gates  and quad/small tractor, locked and  secure…. until said barn was constructed

if you go down the 3 year temp….thats a different matter, the PD  barn construction is simply that,,,,,You are just working there , not living

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

Hi Groundhog --- that's just what I did ---- but direct debit - not cheque book....... and have spoken with assessors and they are sending me proof of when I moved in. The planners actually told me that they and the assessors do not share information as they are not allowed to under data protection - something I found very strange - but true!! :fuck:

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

Hi Groundhog --- that's just what I did ---- but direct debit - not cheque book....... and have spoken with assessors and they are sending me proof of when I moved in. The planners actually told me that they and the assessors do not share information as they are not allowed to under data protection - something I found very strange - but true!! :fuck:

Are you going to back date it 10 years   

happymanoftheworld

happymanoftheworld

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts

It was 2014 when I registered with assessors and council tax.