Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Buying land- do you get it surveyed?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

muddywinter1

muddywinter1

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi we having been planning to follow the f2f route in a few years- things have now moved up with my husband prob getting med discharged from the army.

This has thrown me into a bit of a spin i thought i had two years to do a few courses and now it might be that we are needing to go in 6/8 months!

We have seen a piece of land thats 19.5 acres we like. Its perminant pasture, has a stream/river to one side (5 foot drop so hope it doesnt flood- must investigate further), its next to an A road.

My question is- did you/are you getting your land surveyed?
If so how much do you expect to pay?
Is it really necessary- is it just confirming boundries ?

Will need to fence the boundry with road as priority one- im thinking post and rail with sheep wire (the square stuff)- how much would this codt per metre? Considering paying to have it done so can get animals onto land quicker.

Thanks for all help and advice in advance.

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Hi and welcome :)

There are lots of knowledgable people on here who will help you, but when buying land you need to see what kind of soil it is, take a fork for a walk over it and dig a Few holes. I've never used a surveyor in land purchase, They will measure boundaries but solicitors should make sure you know what you're buying, and vendors solicitor should tell you exactly what they're selling!

Beware of claw backs and conditions of sale, seem to becoming higher, longer and more restrictive every time I'm in the market to buy.

Which part of the country are you in? Different counties vary greatly in accepting Field2Farm type businesses, wrong but i think sadly true, it should be the same everywhere! Bar AONB etc!

Just my tuppence worth to keep you going till the brains of the forum appear!

muddywinter1

muddywinter1

Chick

• Book Owners
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi and thank you.
Its in Devon - outside the national park but not far away from it. Its next to a village.
No clawback been mentioned so far. Has no footpaths over it.

It has fish rights available as a separate lot- i have no interest in fishing but thinking ill need to buy it to stop someone wondering about on my land ?

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

yes..fishing and shooting rights will need to be included, or you will have the owners of those rights legally walking across the land any time, day or night,

for your benefit it would be good to know what, or, if any services run over or under the land, 

tim'rous beastie

tim'rous beastie

Calf

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts
  • LocationSomerset
Agree with John and Helen, You need the fishing rights too to stop visitors. Very tempting to buy right on the edge of village if you're looking long term, which I assume you are to build your business then a house, as one day that village will expand. Kerching!

adrian007

adrian007

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 422 posts

Google 'Flood Map'

Should take you to the environment agency flood maps and you can zoom in on your bit and see if it floods...or at least the liklihood of flooding.

Another thing you could do is google the place names, or loccal names and 'flood' and see what reports you come across, warnings, alerst the road is closed you know, that sort of thing. Look under images too.

Cornish Gems

Cornish Gems

Lord and Lady of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,597 posts
  • LocationCornwall (formerly Devon)

We would have thought that fishing rights would be of benefit if you are thinking of having a 'campsite'.