Welcome to Field to Farm Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Plan B

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

tottenham

tottenham

Wurzel

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Locationvery south of watford

Do people on here have a plan B? 

What if, plan A goes wrong after spending a lot of money on mobile, barn, water, electric, sewage, fencing, gates, machinery, livestock and then the cost of the planning consultant with the possibility of losing against the LPA, your land will be devalued. Make no mistake, it is no easy ride.

I keep reading posts whereby people are asking questions without doing any research what so ever. E.g. "I've got half a horse and 2 acres, the 80ft caravan and 4 shipping containers are arriving tomorrow, I've told the neighbours that the lorries need to come across their land. How long before I need to start building the barn?"  :blind:  

shepie

shepie

Lord of the Manor

• Moderators
  • 1,073 posts
If you have a plan b you are already admiting defeat , I don't have one as I don't need one !!!!
I hear what you are saying about the posts and I too feel 90% are on a hiding to nothing , if my advice is worth anything get a john nix book and make sure you have enough animals to meet the stocking levels for the 3 yrs temp and the other 25% you get for maintenance and management is on top of that you have been warned !!!

j and H

j and H

Lord of the Manor

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts
  • Locationsomewhere in the deep south west

i am new to this, and you are right …many of us asked questions before finishing the book, and also doing some research, 

i can understand why people do that, they see a glimmer of hope….

but..once you have read the book and looked at the government guidelines, you see,its not really about building a barn, but building a business,

i can see how some get the f2f mixed up with the agri business route..two totally different roads….one gives you a certain time to prove your business is growing to a certain level and earning a minimum wage within the 1st 3 years 

the other gives you permitted development , not without hassle to build a barn,

to be able to obtain planning permission to build a dwelling, you will need to show , your business is strong enough and you will need to prove you need to be there

the biggest thing with both routes is how you market your produce, or should i say Brand, its no good having enough or the best quality, if you can't sell it  

Groundhog

Groundhog

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts

"The other gives you permitted development not without hassle to build a barn"

It really doesnt,yes for a period of time but only really 12 months at a push I would say if that.F2F living on your land for 5 years will not work

Just because you have a good business doesnt mean you should get a dwelling 

KChally

KChally

Farmer Giles

• Book Owners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Yes, I agree, you are all right. Tottenham, forget plan B and concentrate on plan A till your brain hurts, then hurts some more, cos if its worth having, then its worth fighting for. As I have said before and I'm sure everyone is sick of hearing it, we have got full planning permission to build an agricultural workers dwelling on our 6 acres!!! Of course we couldnt follow the F2F way cos we dont have enough land, but if we can build a business on just 6 acres and make it work, then imagine what you can do with 12.5 + acres. Get your business head on and DONT GIVE UP!

KChally